Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Audio Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

JKehoe

Programmer
Feb 8, 2001
US
Hello,

I have built a new system with a Gigabyte K7 motherboard. The board has integrated audio (Avance AC'97 Audio) and it is enabled in the bios. The updated driver has been installed and there are no bangs in the device manager.

The weird thing is... the system seems to play sounds fine. Windows beeps and other misc sounds (startup.wav) play just fine. No other audio works on the system. I downloaded winamp and it will not play any files (.wav, .mp3), I downloaded Win Media Player and I get this error:

Cannot play back the audio stream: no audio hardware is available. (Error=00040258)

This is a Win 98 machine. Does anybody have any suggestions?

Boot to safe mode and take a look, there may be duplicates in the way. If there are, delete all but 1 OR all and then let the system find/install it again. Might even try to delete the device and reinstall.

Reinstall the device drivers. Windows media player is known to play with the driver and occasionaly screws with them. A resinstall of the drivers should clear things up. We are always looking for new members at our computer forums: Please come join our community too.

Thanks for your suggestions, I tried everything but I was still having problems. I'm wondering if perhaps the onboard audio is crapped out. I really didn't want to have to do it, but I installed a really old PCI Sound Blaster sound card from my old system. It works fine now.

If you have occasion to put it back in, run dxdiag at the command line and run the tests. Good idea whatever sound you have.

Just an update on this problem... I upgraded from Win 98 to Win 2000, took the sound card out to test the onboard sound, and it worked flawlessly. It was having an issue with Win 98.

This is to dumdum checked out your forum, needs work! but will read daily as i do tek-tips.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back