Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Audio Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gatociego

Technical User
Dec 21, 2006
MX
Useing Premier Pro2

When importing a video/audio clip into a new project, it only comes with about half of the audio. The second half of the clip plays the video fine and the accompanying audio track shows up green, but contains no audio wave nor sound.
The entire clip plays perfect (with sound) when opening with Power DVD or Windows Media Player.

Is it possible that the audio sampling rate was changed at the point where the audio stops?

Try razoring the clip at the problem point and see if that helps.

Akribie

I tried razoring, per your suggestion, and that didn't work.
Now, the video is of a wedding and is in 5 parts. Each part plays fine with Power DVD.

When I import each/any/all 5 parts, they all have the same audio problem- the audio cuts off about halfway thru each.

One thing- the audio cuts off in all of them at the same point on the project timeline- right about 16 minutes 30 seconds. Does this give any sort of clue as to the problem?

Jeez. I have to deliver this work by Friday and am in a real mess if I can't get this thing straightened out.

What format are the video files and how did you get them into the computer?

Hi Akribie

From a Canon digital camera, I used a firewire connection and brought the video into the compu useing Pinnacle Instant DVD Recorder.
The format for this is not recognized by Premier, so the video was then converted thru Nero Vision Express. This made it a NVEExport.avi format (recognized by Premier Pro).

Once I brought it into the project, Premier calls it:

NVEExport.avi.avi
Sound 44100-16-bit

This is a brand new first-time-used camera, but I have obtained videos from other types cameras useing the same process and have never experienced problems, and, as mentioned before, I can open the original video download with Power DVD and the sound plays fine all the way thru.

What a convoluted process!

If you have a FireWire connection, why do you not capture as DV AVI using Premiere and avoid all these compatibility issues?

I was wondering about that, and was going to ask of this in my next new thread.

I will give it a try.

Hi Akribie

I tried your suggestion. Useing the firewire, I opened my existing project and followed the steps to capture directly into the project. The video came out like crap. I looked above the BIN and noted that my video had been captured at 32kHZ, and my project was 48kHZ. So I opened a new project in DV-Standard 32kHZ and opened the video in the new project-----CRAP. The video was wavy and when the camera would move from one subject to the next, it was kind of like going into Control Panel and adding a tail to your mouse pointer.

I went back to my 'convoluted' 2 step process useing Nero Vision. Once again, it dropped about 30 minutes of audio off the second half of the 1hr film.

At this point, I am really kind of screwed. Any more ideas I might try?????

I'm going to need to know a lot more detail before possibly being able to help.

Are you using a video camera or a still camera?

What model is it?

What are the native parameters of the source material (frame size etc)?

The 32/48k option refers only to audio sampling rate and has nothing to do with picture quality at all.

Is there anything unusual I should be aware of ?

Hi Akribie. That was quick.

Regarding your questions:

Well, sure it's a video camera. How would a still camera be presening problems with audio?

It is a Canon Optura 50.

The frame size is 720x480

Unusual? The most unusual point I can make is that with having bought a new 'next generation' compu, a video camera, and all of the supporting gadgetry and software for video editing, I can't get an acceptable video into my computer.

You said it was a 'Canon digital camera', which could equally describe a still camera,hence my need to clarify exactly what camera we are talking about. (FWIW, my canon still camera takes very good video with sound, but not in DV AVI format.)

I asked if there was anything unusual because it is amazing how often problem turn out to be due to an equipment/software combination that seems perfectly reasonable to the person with the problem so they don't think it is necessary to mention it until cajoled.

You are working in NTSC, by the look of your frame size and the Canon Optura 50 is a perfectly normal DV video camera. You have a new computer with all the right interfaces, and Premiere. So it should all just work - as my recent new computer did - first time.

But it doesn't, so something is wrong somewhere.

I assume that the recorded video plays OK on a TV when directly connected.

I also assume that you have chosen a project preset in Premiere that matches your source material (probably DV NTSC 48k).

If you are getting bad video pictures with all the right settings, and if camera control works OK (ie the FireWire is OK), then I start to suspect you might have a camera problem.

Have you a way to connect another DV camera and see if you can capture OK from that? Or to connect your camera to a different capture computer?

If another camera exhibits the same issues, or if footage is OK on a different machine, another possible line of enquiry would be about CODECs installed on your system. There have been reports of some DivX CODECs interfering with Premiere, but I do not have the details to hand.

Yours is a very unusual-sounding problem, so it may take a little while to get to the bottom of it.

Hi Akribie

Useing the firewire connection, I have tried useing Pinnacle DVD Recorder, Nero Vision, and PPro direct from project to capture video. I also tried useing an external Pinnacle device (RCA cable) and Studio 10. All, except Nero Vision, renders 55 minutes of pure video crap. Nero Vision renders a fairly good video, but, as mentioned, drops half of the audio. I even tried just capturing the first 20 minutes from the camera with Vision and it drops about 15 minutes of that.

Yes, I have captured a 1-1/2 hour video from another camera several times in the past with no problems. This camera, though, did not have the firewire. I used the Pinnacle (RCA) contraption.
This is the first time I have tried useing the firewire.

Going to have to face a very, very, pissed-off lady tomorrow.

We seem to be going round in circles here.

Your convoluted route is a nonsense if your equipment and software are working properly.

I'm very sorry, but unless you are prepared to explore the question of your particular camera and its serviceability,(and maybe the way you are using it all), we are unlikely to make any progress here.

I connected the camera to the TV and it works perfectly. In fact, I am really impressed with the color and sound.

So then I went back into PPro and worked with several different project settings and finally came up with the solution. I am now able to capture my video from the camera directly into the project (as it should be). No more 'convoluting' and saving probably about an hour overall with this direct process. And all of the audio comes along with it!

I was able to finish up my project and get it delivered to customer- and learning a lot more about PPro in the process.
Actually, the more I learn about the program, the more fun it is becoming. In the future, I will be getting out quality work in record time.

Many thanks for bearing with me on this problem and getting me steered in the right direction (as usual).

See you on my next thread!

Hi,
I need help about adobe premier 1.5 audio problem. When i played the file in the premier, the audio seemed to be delayed about 1 sec, so the movie and audio doesn't sincronize. And when i render the file the output become error as well(The sound doesn't match the movie).
Please by all mean help me.Thankyou

Please start a new thread for a new question.

What format is your source file? Is it DV, MPEG (off DVD?) or what?

Are you playing both sound and pictures on the same device (ie computer or TV)? Playing sound on computer and pictures on TV will generate a lag.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back