Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Audio Drivers Detected TWICE in Device Manager ???

Status
Not open for further replies.

DRAMO4298

Technical User
Nov 23, 2001
US
Hello:

In Device Manager - Sound, Video and Game Controllers (Win98SE) . . .

Crystal WDM Audio Codec
(!) Crystal WDM Audio Codec
Crystal WDM Audio Control Registers

PROBLEM:
In safe mode I delete those TWO "Crystal WDM audio Codec" entries and restart the computer.

Then, this "Crystal WDM Audio Codec" is detected on startup and the drivers are installed.

Then, I must restart the machine and "Crystal WDM Audio Codec" is detected AGAIN . . . SAME drivers are found and installed . . . but, in Device Manager this second one has an EXCLAMATION POINT before it.

Also, there are NO RESOURCES (tab) for this second entry.

The DEVICE STATUS says (code 10) - "This device is not present, not working properly, or does not have all the drivers installed. Try upgrading the device drivers for this device."

I have a feeling that this device should NOT be being detected the second time.

I tried "disabling" it - but I cannot keep it deleted after removing it.

I can remove the entries pertaining to this second device in the Registry . . . then it disappears from the Device Manager . . . but returns again with an EXCLAMATION POINT after installing drivers.

The only way I can keep this second entry out of Device Manager is to click on CANCEL when the computer detects it and wants to install the drivers.

Any help stopping this SECOND detection from happening will be appreciated.

THANK YOU.

IBM 6547 Desktop Computer
Pentium II, MMX, 350 MHz
128 MB RAM
Windows 98SE
IBM BIOS 09/10/1998

Sometimes you can delete both and add hardware using latest drivers and get rid of the problem. The problem isn't just that device, I've seen it on a multitude of other devices and it seems to be a built in problem with the hardware detector.
Based on what I have learned through the intel ide controller problems, the hardware is instructed on what to use by a .inf file. The IDE drivers didn't load because the bx486.inf didn't exist. Interprolating, I would suspect that you could find a .inf file that belongs to this hardware and stop it from loading again by renaming it before you let the system reboot. Speculation only, since I've never done it.

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

Thanks for reply, EDFAIR:

The driver file I notice is "WDMA_CSC.INF" which I changed to "WDMA_CSC.TXT" and the result was that the second instance of "Crystal Audio" moved to . . .

OTHER DEVICES -
(!) Crystal Audio (No drivers installed - code 28)

I also tried editing this INF file by removing the only TWO references to this (second) Crystal Audio detection . . .

[Crystal]
%*CSC0100.DeviceDesc%=CSC0100_DEVICE,, *CS010F

[CSC010F]
; This device is used as a place holder for a logical device that's been removed

QUESTION:
Since editing and changing the name of "WDMA_CSC.INF" file still allows this (second) detection of "Crstal Audio" to occur . . . isn't there some OTHER file that is causing the detection process to begin?

I feel like I need to REMOVE the entry in (another) file that pertains to this [CSC010F] device . . . since removing it from this INF file only caused the DRIVERS not to load.

I notice in BOOTLOG.TXT that (both) instances of "Crystal Audio" show up . . . what file is producing this SECOND DETECTION ????

Thanks again. :>)

I'm over my head without a machine with the hardware.
Some can come from the registry, some from system.ini, and some from win.ini. and config.sys
Guess you could put it back like it was originally, and delete the hardware and make sure the registry shows clean gor that hardware in HKLM Enum. Should force one more hardware install.

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

SOLUTION FOUND !!!!

I had to download and use the "DriverMagic Utility" (Driver_Wizard_setup.exe) which showed all the drivers on my computer and their UPDATES.

For "CRYSTAL WDM AUDIO DEVICE" it showed the updated file (Crystal_CS4235_w95us272.zip) which I downloaded from the DriverMagic website.

Extracting this file to a 3.5" floppy disk - I used the UNINSTALL.EXE file on this floppy to rid my machine of all the previous sound drivers.

This REMOVED "Crystal WDM Audio Codec" and "Crystal WDM Audio Control Registers" from Device manager.

Restarted computer - used floppy disk when "Crstal Audio Device" was detected.

NOW - in Device Manager, it shows . . .

SOUND, VIDEO AND GAME CONTROLLERS -
Crystal PnP Audio System CODEC
Crystal PnP Audio System Control Registers
Disabled Device

ALL 3 ARE WORKING PROPERLY !!

That "Disabled Device" is that previous mentioned [CSC010F] which is a device used as a place-holder for a logical drive that's been removed.

This issue is CLOSED.

THANK YOU for the replies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back