Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Audio Clipping, Possible IRQ Conflict, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

cuckoo4

Technical User
Oct 16, 2002
US
Please first see my specs...

Pentium 4, 3GHz
2GB RAM
Windows XP
Audiophile 24/96 Soundcard

------------------------------------------------------

Sometimes, when I listen to Windows Media Player, QuickTime, MySpace.com, etc...or writing music, the audio on my computer sort of skips/clicks/clips. As if the processor cannot handle the audio. It may happen if I'm trying to do two things at once...like opening Microsoft Word at the same time I'm listening to a track.

I really want to fix this problem. It's been bothering me for a long time now.

I understand some possible problems are an IRQ conflict...or perhaps something is downloading behind the scenes. Another that I should just dedicate my soundcard for computer music
applications, rather than let Windows use the soundcard to play audio.

I've also altered Windows settings for music production.

If you're a bit more computer savvy than I, below is a link showing my current IRQ setup. A red box surrounds the IRQ my soundcard is on. It is not alone on IRQ 19. Maybe you might suggest putting it on its own IRQ.

I really appreciate any help in the matter!

M

Sorry to say, but you have not given enough Information there...

reason: Software in use or installed causes the same type of hickup, skipping, etc. you described...

namely: NERO, ie. had/has problems in some of their versions which cause skipping in playback...

So please list the CODECS and Software that you use for Playback and encoding aswell...

Ben

"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."

Not exactly sure what to list. I went through my Add/Remove programs list and this is what I came up with:

NERO 7
ITUNES
QuickTime
RealPlayer

Xvid MPEG-4 Video Codec
DivX
GPL MPEG-1/2 DirectShow Decoder Filter
High Definition Audio Driver Package - KB888111 (not sure what this is)
Realtek High Definition Audio Driver (not sure what this is)

...Thanks for your help! Let me know if I still needs some additional info.

Just noticed I put a couple video codecs in there.

cuckoo4, I had the same problem. In my case, it happened because the antivirus software would dominate the CPU every time a page with lots of graphics is loaded.

When you open MS Word, it requests the antivirus to scan the opened file as well.

To see if that's the case, open the task manager while you perform all these activities, and observe which processes steal CPU power.

Good luck.

Nero Skipping issues (read):

iTunes Skipping issues:
iTunes Skipping on Windows XP Solution:
1) Close iTunes and Quicktime
2) Click the start button
3) Go to the control panel
4) Click on Quick Time
5) Select the Audio tab
6) Click on ‘Safe mode (waveOut only)’
7) Click okay. Relaunch iTunes. So far so good (for me)
Source Smoother

and what AMOS43 mentions is viable and should be checked aswell... Norton, ie. likes to do exactly that...

Ben

"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."

Ok, thx. I will check into it...

Just to throw it out there, I use Nod32 AV.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back