Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Audio Again

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrwinkey

Technical User
Mar 19, 2006
GB
Hi guys,

as with my last post i am having problems with audio.

Thanks to Akrabie, i can now import 4 chanel audio as i have used Scenalyzer live to capture and then edit in Premier.

Now i am just simply having problems editing the audio.

With Video, if you want to cut at an exact frame you can simply advance frame by frame until you come to the one you want or even jog to it.

With audio, you dont get any playback when you advance frame by frame and if you jog slowly you can understand what is going on.

I have tried to play at full speed and watch the time code while listening out for the point i want to edit, but i am not quick enough to see the exact milli second.

I have a peice of audio with very similar beats (the same actually) which i have managed to edit together by advancing the one frame at a time and setting the out point and then playing back until it sounds right, but this takes agaes and will only work with exact matching audio and when you dont care where the cut is.

So, how do you edit audio so you know where to cut? There must be a simple(r) way.

Thanks in advance,

jay

Get the clip into the clip window (double click on timeline is one way).

Look in the flyout menu (little triangle at top right of the clip window) and choose audio waveform.

Use the waveform, together with the jog/shuttle controls, to select the exact point for in/out/markers as you wish.

If you are working with linked video and audio, in/out points are common to both elements of the clip.

Ey up mate,

cheers for the reply, but unfortunately that is what i am doing at the moment and i can tell the exact point at which i need to cut / set marker.

As i explained you cant use jog as the sound is just garbled rubbish and if you play at full speed it is too fast to see the exact point.

I had hoped that there would be some easy way of cutting and editing Audio, as i wont be able to do it this way.

Its prob just me.

Cheers anyway.

Jay

I would suggest cutting the audio as close as you can get it. Play the clip at regular speed, stop it at the point where you want. Assuming your hand-ear coordination is good, I'd estimate you'd get within 15 frames (assuming you use NTFS). Cut the clip where you stop. Then play the clip back, if it's too short, just expand the shortened clip a few frames. If it's too long, shorten it a few frames more. It will be a trial-and-error, but I bet you will find it goes fairly quickly. Your waveform characteristics pretty much force you into the Monte Carlo method.

Irsmith,

thanks for the reply, i have tried that and it was the best method, but it was still a pain in the ass.

So i take it from the two replies that i have got that there is not a good easy way to edit audio.

I cant believe i have to mess about like that, what a total pain.

Cheers for your replies anyway,

Jay

The difficulty in your case is that the stopping point cannot be readily identified by observing the waveform in the time domain. In my experience of editing audio, that is unusual. Editing the waveform using frequency-based methods won't fit your needs either, as you are specifying a time-domain restriction, not attempting to augment frequency characteristics of the waveform.

That's why you are forced in this circumstance to go Monte Carlo. There just isn't an algorithm out there (that I know of) that can do what you need in this circumstance. It's not common.

Ha ha,

i didnt understand a word of what you replied. Lol.

HOw on earth do people edit Audio? There must be a way of being able to cut a clip at exactly the point you want somehow. I just dont get it at all.
As you said before, i think the best way is to cut roughly before and keep cuting small chunks off unti you get to the point you want? What do you think?

Jay.

Audio is hard.

It is easy to set a marker on the fly using the numeric keypad asterisk key during normal replay. That gives a rough starting point for in/out points if you can't judge directly from the waveform.

The 'play in to out' and 'play to out' options then give very quick ways to test the accuracy of cuts in the waveform window. It is easy enough to nudge the in/out points to exactly where you want them, expanding to view by samples rather than frames if necessary.

Work with what you've got, not what you wish you had!

Ey up guys,

i have now come to terms with the fact that there is no easy way to edit Audio.

Guess i will have to sit for hours adjusting things. (cant you see im lazy).

So, how do i set a marker using the numeric keys?

How do you nudge the in out points? (or do you just reselt them)

Cheers,

Jay

Keypad asterisk key sets markers on the fly (see previous post!).

To nudge in/out:
Use go to in/out buttons
use arrow key to move left/right
set in/out point again

Akribie,

thanks for that mate, i always find it handy using the keyboard shortcuts.

Cheers,

Jay

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back