Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Audible Dialing Progress

Status
Not open for further replies.

TerribleTerry

Programmer
Nov 12, 2003
US
When I'm at home I use my always-on DSL connection. But when I'm on the road, I have to use a dial-up connection. Problem is, I can't hear the dialing progress sounds, so sometimes have a lot of trouble figuring out why I'm not getting through. I vaguely recall that, when I first had the machine (XP/pro), I could hear the tones, but not now. I've tried every option I know of but of no avail. Would greatly appreciate any pointers on how to make dialing progress audible.

Hi, Terry

Start/Settings/Network Connections/Right click on your DUN entry/left click on properties.

DUN Connection Properties opens
General Tab/Connect using/select modem/configure button
Put tick in Enable Modem Speaker
Click on OK
Click on OK

Jock

Also check in Phone and Modems in the Control Panel and make sure the sound is not turned down too low.

Jock and Linney,

1) I have the modem speaker enabled in the Dun

2) The Phone/Modem control was set at mid-volume; I changed it to full volume with no effect.

Appreciate your help, but any new thoughts?

Regards

Check if there is a init string for the modem
in the properties.
The bold one is what you want enabled

Speaker command set HAYES compatible modems
AT

M0 speaker always off

M1 speaker on except while carrier present

M2 speaker always on

M3 speaker on except while dialing and carrier present

SYAR2003,

Where do I get access to that initialization string - I don't see it in any of the DUN options.

Regards

Control panel - Phone And modems -
Modem tab -Properties - Advanced tab.

There is the extra initialization commands
Might for example look like this:
&F&k3L1M0S7=90S9=16S10=36

This one has speaker muted always ( M0 )

often placed there by some installed software
that installs the modem.

Well, I found where you can add extra initialization parameters like you said. It was blank. I tried adding '&M2' and 'M2'. No sound. (I should add that the sound on the machine seems to work just fine for all other purposes.)

Guess I'll just give up and admit defeat.

Thanks to all for the attempted help.

Hi, Terry

One last thought ... does your modem have its own speaker or does the sound come thru the sound card/spkrs. If the latter then check control panel/sounds & audio devices/device volume advanced button and make sure none of the inputs are muted.

Jock

You can take a peak in the Registry (if you like) at the following keys and see what settings are there. They look a bit complicated however.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Class\{4D36E96D-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}\0000

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet002\Control\Class\{4D36E96D-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}\0000

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet003\Control\Class\{4D36E96D-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}\0000

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E96D-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}\0000

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back