Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Attributes on Folder in XP Keeps Changing 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

monoone

Programmer
May 24, 2002
US
Ever since I upgraded to SP2 for XP Pro, the attributes keep going to Read Only for a folder and it's sub-folders.

The Folder is located at the root of C:

C:\TheFolder\

How can I make it not keep changing back to "Read Only". It's a real pain doing back-ups to CD.

Any help would be great.

Thanks,

-Eric

monoone,

Is your C: drive formatted with FAT or NTFS? Are you sharing any folders on that drive with either shared permissions or NTFS permissions? Is the root folder on C: shared? Read-only?

Wishdiak

Cannot Change the Read-Only Attribute of System Folders

HOW TO: Remove the Read-Only Attribute While You Copy Files from a CD-ROM in Windows 2000 (Q323002)

From a Command prompt use the ATTRIB command.
Displays or changes file attributes.
This command displays, sets, or removes the Read-Only, Archive, System, and Hidden attributes assigned to files or directories.

ArcSet -- Win9x, NT4, Win2K, WinME, XP
If you ever copied files from a CD-ROM to your hard drive, you've probably noticed that those files will be set to read-only, preventing you from modifying them. Removing the read-only attribute by hand can get really tedious, especially if you're looking at hundreds or thousands of files. ArcSet is a utility that does the job for you. It can automatically reset file attributes on specified files on a drive or in a folder, even recursing through subfolders.

read only attribute
thread779-477750

Read only attributes
thread779-383146

Write-protect lies!
thread779-478243

monoone,

How did you get on with regards to the Read Only atrribute on folders located on your C:

I have the same problem.

The UI says that the read only attrib is set (shaded - so some items are read-only).

If I go to a command prompt and type: attrib %foldername%, it shows that there are no attributes set?!

An application which then requires access to this folder, fails saying that the folder we are pointing it to is read only even though it is not.

Users have full permissions to the folders, there are no GPO's that are restricting this and the NTFS permissions are set accordingly.

If I remove the shading so that the atrribute box is empty, come out of the properties box and then go back, the shading is vback again.

I've also checked the links at:

Folders will always show in Explorer with the Read-only as set. This has nothing to do with the Read-only attribute.

It is used in XP as a directive to the OS to check for a hidden desktop.ini file.

It means nothing else.

Have a look at the files in the folder that you need to access that is on C:. Are they hidden or system files? Do they have the read only attribute set? Whereas folders don't use the read only attribute (as it is used in previous Windows) the files inside of the folders do and can be set to read only or set to unchecked to allow writing to them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back