Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Attribute 'ms_2d_layout' is not a valid attribute of element 'table'

Status
Not open for further replies.

CdnRebel

Programmer
Apr 5, 2003
CA
Hi!

I am new to Visual Studio and ASP.NET. I got the above error message on the code below. It is from an ASP.Net file (I think version 1.1). I get the error when I try to open it with Visual Studio 2005. Is there some other way of coding that; so that, I still end up with the same results?

Code:
<TABLE height="737" cellSpacing="0" cellPadding="0" width="737" border="0" ms_2d_layout="TRUE">

Thanks!!

Mark,

I did gather that it was an invalid attribute for the Table tag according to Visual Studio 2005, but I did not write the code and I was unable to find what that ms_2d_layout="TRUE" was supposed to do. My guess is that is has something to do with splitting a page in two and having different items in each section, but if the html code already handles that, it would make it redundant. I'm just not clear on what it was suppossed to do and whether since Visual Studio 2005, if there was another way to code the same thing.

I used the search engine for several days before I started posting the question in forums and I actually did find a site that sounded as if someone had the same question, but I needed to register to see the answer and after attempting to register (no confirmation email yet since "registering" last Wednesday and no response to my question on the registration from the contact person at the site).

Someone on another site where I posted to a forum, gave a partial answer suggesting that I needed to go to the tools and options-->validation--> to change the target schema for validation, but I don't know what to change it to and I am waiting for a reply. I could experiment, but it would be nice to get an explanation on what I would be selecting and why.

Thanks,
Mary

If you are not sure what it is supposed to do, I'd suggest removing it and seeing what the consequences are. It shouldn't be there in the first place so it needs to be removed and you should look into alternative methods of acheiving the same layout.

Need help finding an answer? Try the Search Facility or read FAQ222-2244.

Mark,

According to the other person at the other site, it is a validation error. It worked in the previous version and I would just as soon not go through almost 30 programs to remove the attribute, if there is an alternate option which may require going through all the programs.

Thanks,
Mary

Yes, they are correct in that it is a validation error. Validation errors occur when they don't validate against the given DOCTYPE (which I pointed out in my first post). The attribute you mention isn't a standard attribute and as such won't validate against any standard DOCTYPE.

It may of been the case that the previous developer wrote their own DOCTYPE, however, I would think this unlikely. It's more probably that their website never validated and/or they didn't supply any DOCTYPE.

The options you have are:

1) Leave it as it is and your page won't validate (which won't affect the functionality of your page, but may affect how it looks on different browsers).
2) Write your own DOCTYPE and validate against that.
3) Remove the attribute.

I think #3 is the best option.

Need help finding an answer? Try the Search Facility or read FAQ222-2244.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back