Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Attention led on Contivity

Status
Not open for further replies.

mufka

ISP
Dec 18, 2000
US
What does the Attention LED mean on a Contivity 600? It is orange but everything seems to work.

I have a contivity 2600 and had a similar queation. I assume same will apply.
The light is probably amber and is meant as a health check on the system. amber meaning warning. Different default parameters can make that light illuminate, mine was a backup parameter set to automate back up with no backup device set up. If you check on events/health check log it will tell you whats causing it.

I had a warning on the DNS servers. In speaking to Nortel support, they told me that it was because it was looking for a DNS server on the private side. Sounds silly to me, but that was the best they could do.

mufka,

The contivity is a security device so if there is anything wrong at all it needs to notify you! Apart from the internal security logs, it also indicates security status by way of the LEDs on the front panel.

Green means normal operation, amber means the system is booting up or that there is a minor problem, and red means there is a major problem such as the front panel being removed.

Amber status can occur quite often, if someone tried to connect using the wrong password, the LED will turn amber for a short period. If the box is not configured properly or if an important service goes down (such as DNS), then it alerts you to the condition by turning the LED amber until such time that you take action to correct the condition.

The contivity is a very easy box to configure and DNS is no exception. Just point it to the DNS servers on your private network so VPN clients have name-resolution when connecting to your internal LAN.

Regards,
maj.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back