Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Attempting to add an additional provider to 2nd router interface

Status
Not open for further replies.

labgrl76

IS-IT--Management
Dec 2, 2005
US
Hi all,

We're pretty stumped and cannot seem to figure out the problem. We have a stub office who's company WAN connection uses the serial interface on a cisco 1841. F0/0 is used for the local subnet. Thus far, traffic including has been successfully routed through that serial interface and over to our colocation. Business as usual with that setup and it's working great. We then introduced a Netopia DSL router in to that stub office to try and handle traffic destined for port 80. We are also wanting to make sure all internal traffic is still routed to the colocation. We've put a 100 metric on our default WAN route and it seemed to work....for a week. I've visited this office and connected my laptop directly in to the netopia box to make sure it was still getting out to the web. It was in fact getting out fine but not when connected to the cisco f0/1. If anyone can help, I do have a visio jpeg I could send with the physical layout.
F0/0 - Local office net
S0/0/0:0 - Company WAN to our colocation
F0/1 - Connected via xover from Cisco to Netopia (supplementary internet dsl (gateway is 10.128.33.2)

service timestamps debug datetime msec
service timestamps log datetime msec
no service password-encryption
!
hostname office
!
boot-start-marker
boot-end-marker
!
enable secret xxxxxxxxxx
!
no aaa new-model
!
resource policy
!
no network-clock-participate wic 0
ip subnet-zero
!
!
ip cef
!
!
!
controller T1 0/0/0
framing esf
linecode b8zs
channel-group 0 timeslots 1-24
!
!
!
interface Loopback0
description Source and Destination Interface for Management
ip address 10.16.0.31 255.255.255.255
!
!
interface FastEthernet0/0
description Internal Lan
ip address 10.0.15.1 255.255.255.0
ip helper-address 10.0.2.37
no ip redirects
no ip unreachables
no ip proxy-arp
duplex full
speed 100
no cdp enable
!
interface FastEthernet0/1
ip address 10.128.33.1 255.255.255.0
duplex auto
speed auto
!
interface Serial0/0/0:0
ip address 10.16.2.238 255.255.255.252
encapsulation ppp
no keepalive
no fair-queue
!
!
router rip
version 2
network 10.0.0.0
neighbor 10.16.2.237
!
ip classless
ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 10.16.2.237 100 <---internal WAN
ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 10.128.33.2 <-netopia box to(additional provider)
!
ip http server
no ip http secure-server
!
!
!
control-plane
!
!
banner login ^CCCC
------------------------------------------------------------------------
This Device is Private Property.
Unauthorized Access is strictly prohibited.
All connections and attempts to connect are monitored and logged.
Violaters will be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.
Message #1-712-23-10-680
Please Disconnect Now if you have reached this prompt unintentionally.
^C
!
line con 0
password xxxxx
login
line aux 0
line vty 0 4
session-timeout 30
exec-timeout 30 0
password xxxxx
session-disconnect-warning 25
login
transport input telnet
!
scheduler allocate 20000 1000
!
end

have you put the required static routes on the netopia so for your lan subnets?
or can you run rip on it possibly?
i suspect that it doesn't know about your lan subnet attached to your routers fa0/0 interface..
probably just needs a

10.0.15.0 255.255.255.0 via 10.128.33.1

I'd set your routing to something like this.
ip route 10.16.2.0 255.255.255.0 via s0/0
ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 via f0/1

It would seem to me that the problem is you are directing 0.0.0.0 traffic to both locations. the higher metric should only make sure that that route is only selected if the first is down. I think the firs thing i'd try is being more specific with your statics. i also see you are using dynamic routing through Rip. I've had a lot more luck with EIGRP through personal experiance. if available on your equipment. I know the 1841 has it. A default gateway might help as well.

Please validate anything i'm telling you as i'm not an expert.

in the above config he has two default routes
the router will chooses the netopia interface first as its admin distance is 1 he then has a higher admin distance of 100 set for the default route back to his other location..
that should work fine as long as the netopia is able to return traffic to his lan..

a 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 route is a default route.. ie default gateway

Thanks, I am almost certain our provider has added the 10.128.33.0 subnet with a route. I could be wrong but I am thinking there may be an issue with that providers configuration. I am wondering if it may be something we're not doing correctly on our end.

do you have access to the netopia box?
it may have nat requirements or the route might be wrong etc..
until you know what its config looks like its hard to troubleshoot.

I'm working on it. Kinda tough to get the configs when dealing with an outside provider using their equipment (netopia). I don't think it should be a problem but I will post it as soon as I know something. Thanks for the responses btw. :)

This was the response from our service provider...

I’m only routing traffic destined for 10.128.33.0/24 to you. I’m going to add 10.0.15.0/24 to point to you as well. Would you prefer we change to /30’s if there is going to be another network behind your equipment? Anyways, I’m adding that route right now so let me know if you still have trouble.

Apparently since we don't own the equipment they've locked us out of the netopia box :( I just wish I could provide more. I hope this gives some insight though.

well the other solution would be to implement nat on that interface between you and the netopia.
but assuming he adds the route to you. i dont see why this wouldnt work.

Hi all,

Just wanted to thank everyone for their input on this topic. It turned out to be an incorrect configuration on the provider's end. Getting the config from the provider was almost like pulling teeth. Anyhow, web traffic is now flowing nicely out the secondary interface. A tracert issued on a machine at the site clearly proved everything to be in order. Thank you all again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back