Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Attatches to all servers in tree 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

SM777

Technical User
Mar 7, 2001
GB
I have 3 users out of 1000 that have just started to attach to all servers in the tree - even those down 64K wan links.

Nothing changed on PC, no new software installed. Users may have fiddled with something because they are in the same department yet I can't find no evidence.

After they log in and windows 95 settles down that is when connections are made to the servers. No drives are mapped, no printers are attached to the servers so why is it connecting to them?

The problems then start when they try to do file read/saves - the PC slows down to a crawl whilst I guess the other servers are interrogated.

There is nothing in the login script, no windows permanent connections. I've searched the registery for the server names - nothing found.

Any ideas?

Not sure what would cause this, but you might try running REGEDIT on one of these PCs and searching for one of the servers they are attaching to and track from there.

Tried that. Its just weird that its only 3 users. I even suspected some kind of virus but thats not the case either.

We had this similar problem a few weeks ago. It turned out to be the SIRCAM virus. Check the machines for that virus.

Yep, turned out to be Sircam. It got in just a day or two before we upgraded the mailsweeper virus files. Just wondering why it didnt propagate from the 3 users that initially had the infection.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back