Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Attachments sent in Outlook XP are renamed to "C.DTF"

Status
Not open for further replies.

jhenager

MIS
May 14, 2003
US
Sending attachments in Outlook XP does not work for one of our users. This is with .doc, .xls, .ppt, and other formats. I have sent attachments to the same recepients using Outlook XP with no problem. This started occurring about a month ago. The user did not make any changes to his system. This is not the winmail.dat problem. The files are always renamed to "C.DTF". I have already had the user change to HTML format, and the problem is still there. Would it be useful to try another encoding scheme? We currently are using Western European (ISO). Also wondered if checking that box that forces UUencode when sending plain text would do the trick. Thanks.

I've seen this before and I'll try to explain this as best I can:

The file represents a part of a larger file that Outlook has 'broken-up' because it is larger than a defined attachment size. If you e-mail the user one regular file, does he then receive 2, 3 or more e-mails with this attachment?

I use Outlook Express, and if I choose to 'break apart messages larger than x kb' then all attachments that I send larger than x are broken up into multiple e-mails containing C.DTF files.

Maybe this will point you in the right direction.

--
Mike

Man usually avoids attributing cleverness to somebody else -- unless it is an enemy. - A. Einstein

No, the attachment is not broken up. One particular document was only 38 KB in size, and it was renamed to C.DTF. I am able to send the same user a word document with no problems. It seems to be an encoding issue. This is not Outlook Express; it is Outlook 2002. Thanks.

The solution turns out to be a known issue with Outlook 2002. Changing mail format to HTML fixed the problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back