Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Attachments are converted to part.001 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

kdeans

IS-IT--Management
Apr 3, 2000
CA
Is there any solution to the problem of receiving attachments from exchange servers converted to RTF and renamed as part.001? If I try to follow Microsoft's solution, I would have to contact anyone who may be using an exchange server who might possibly send anything through my Novell SMTP Gateway and ask them to turn of the Rich Text Format option. ( Does anyone know of anything that can be done on my end? Groupwise 5.26, Netware 4.11, SMTP Gateway 4.10b

No they are not html messages. Part.001 also appears as header information on some html messages. The ones to which I refer are Power Point Presentations or Word Documents that get converted to Microsoft's proprietary Rich Text Format when they are sent by an exchange gateway. Our non Microsoft system is unable to convert them back because they don't conform to any RFC. You can't just save them and change the name to junk.doc because something is lost and word will not recognize the new renamed file as a word format. Same with Power Point, Excel or whatever format a file was in before it was converted by the exchange server.

This issue has been a thorn in my bunion for a long time now. Novell's TID is pretty much your only option.

Brent Schmidt CNE,Network + [atom]
Senior Network Engineer
Keep IT Simple [rofl]

You get this same problem with Lotus Notes as well and we just had to advise the person sending the mail to send as plain text. Its a pain but no other way around it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back