Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Attachment disappear when emailed to certain people

Status
Not open for further replies.

NotSoLucky

Technical User
Jan 11, 2005
US
I have a co-worker who emails multiple people at the same company.
He can send 3 people the same email with the same attachments, but 1 of them gets the email, but no attachments.
This 1 person can not get any attachments from any emails sent by my co-worker.
He gave me the attachments, I used my computer, logged in as him and sent the email with the attachments and it went through.
So I assume it is something on his system.
But What?

If he's running anything Symantec on his computer suspect that right away, disable it and try again.

More seriously, it's more than likely if he is running the same firewall and virus software as the rest of you then some setting must be tweaked on that computer that is causing the issue.

Is he not getting the attachment at all, or is he getting the attachment with a greyed out paperclip that he can't access? If that is the case it is Outlook that is blocking the attachment, and you would need to adjust the "dangerous file type" list in the registry on that computer.

It is also possible that something he has different in his mail account settings on that computer is introducing something into the headers that is causing either the incoming or outgoing mail server to be suspicious and it (or some virus protector running on the server) is stripping off the "potentially unwanted attachment".

One thing you could do is go to the computer of the user who gets no attachments. Right click on a message from someone else and choose "options". Then go down and examine the message headers in the box at the bottom. Now go to the "bad" message with the missing attachments and do the same. Compare the message headers and look for differences, or look for a header that says "attachment removed by spam-buster" or some such thing to see where it's happening.

If there are differences in the message headers review his E-mail account setup. If there is a "spam-buster removed..." line then check the settings for that program. Otherwise it is probably some external program doing the deed.

One other thing you can try is to click on the "bad" message and choose "Add Sender to Safe Senders List" and see if that helps.

My co-worker can receive attachments fine, it's when he sends them to a specific person. That person gets the email, but no attachments.

We had him send the same message to three people in the same building. 2 of them got the email and the attachments, the 1 didn't.

Nobody else has the problem and it is only with 3 people my co-worker emails.

I know it is in his computer, but where do I look?

If computer A sends messages to computers B, C and D, and computers B and C get the message but D doesn't, why would that lead you to assume the problem is on computer A? I would start looking on D to see what might be filtering out the attachment.

I took the attachments from Computer A and sent them from Computer E. Computers B,C and D all got the attachments.

The attachments only get filtered when sent by computer A.

That is why I am thinking that it is something on Computer A that is the problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back