Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Attachment disappear but the size is large (outlook express)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 25, 2002
MO
hi all,
i received some email through outlook express, however, i cannot see the icon for the attachment, however, the size of those emails show that there is an email attachment, about 2000k.

so do anyone know what is happening?

Kill Ghost Prince

Do you have the option "Do not allow attachments to be saved or opened that could be potentially a virus" unchecked? Under TOOLS - OPTIONS - SECURITY.

joegz
"Sometimes you just need to find out what it's not first to figure out what it is."

Right click the email and look at properties. Scroll down to where it describes the attachement and see if it refers to "winmail.dat" and not the expected file. If it does, then it's not your problem but the senders. See:

Cheers,
Brodie

Cheers,
Brodie

I have unchecked this option,
"Do not allow attachments to be saved or opened that could be potentially a virus"

the problem is that the attachment file is dispear rather than "cannot access"

Kill Ghost Prince

I will second this. In my case the messages which lose the attachments are sent from Outlook to Outlook Express. I have confirmed the same problem with a dozen other users sending to a bunch of different people, not less than 100 confirmed cases of this problem occurring. Apparently that's not enough evidence for our IT folks but I digress. This problem is not related to the OE6 "unsafe attachment" problem and Microsoft has been no help so far. There is some kind of real problem here. Help?

Have your mail administrators check the delivery options for your mailboxes.

James

hi
CBS604 is right. the problem is at the senders side. if he has set the mail format in Microsoft Outlook to Microsoft Outlook Rich text then the file is recieved by outlook express in the .dat format and the outlook user cannot open the attachment. ask the sender to set his mail format under tools->Options to plain text.

bye
ajaxr77

This is not what's happening. On the recipient's end there is no attachment, although the message size indication is high, indicating that the attachment is there. I have tried sending the same message in Rich Text, HTML, and Plain Text with the same results in each case-- message size indicating that there is an attachment but no attachment exists (includine *.dat).

When you say "no attachment exists (includine *.dat)." do you mean there is no paper clip?

If so, did you look at the actual message source to see if there is a reference to winmail.dat, and/or look at the MS article I referred to in my prvious post?

Cheers,
Brodie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back