Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Attachment blocking for *.exe in Outlook Client

Status
Not open for further replies.

mohai76

MIS
May 20, 2002
JP
I have set my groupshield to block only attachment with *.vbs, but somehow one of my user can not received attachment with exe extension. Is there any setting in outlook client for attachmen???
Thanks for your help...

If you installed SP1 or SP2 (forgot which one) to Outlook 2000 it automatically says that you cannot accept attachments that have an "exe" extension. This was an "improvement" Microsoft did on the SP. I believe there is a Registry hack that can fix this, but have not tried so not sure if it works.

What I am doing now is when sending "exe" files, I rename them as "doc" or "txt", send them and have reciever rename back.

Add this to the user's registry (On the local machine, not at the server.)

Depending on your version of Outlook, the 10.0 might by 9.0, etc.

hcu\software\microsoft\office\10.0\outlook\security
Key: Level1Remove
String Value: .exe

I forget what seperates string values so you can add more values; either , or ;

There is an admin security piece that can be put on the server to handle this stuff, but we only have one or two users with Outlook XP so far and I don't feel like playing with that stuff on the server yet!

The above only works if you are using Office 2002 or have installed SP3 for Office 2000.

You'll have to search the microsoft sight but there is a pack with a form and instructions you can download. You have to create a public folder called "outlook security settings" and place this form in there. When outlook starts up it automaticly looks for this folder and adopts those setting while it's open. This way you can control idividuals setting on the fly and not have to hack the registry on each machine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back