Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Attachmate Error Codes

Status
Not open for further replies.

ciumes

Programmer
Feb 11, 2005
US
I have been figuring out Extra! Basic just from using the Macro editor, and digging out VB asnwers that usually work. When I looked at the help page for the mkDir statement, the example says "If Err = 75" means that the directory already exists.

So, my question is: Is there a list of Extra! Basic error codes and their values and meanings? For example, I'm sure that mkDir can fail in ways other than encountering an existing directory. It would be nice to know which values Err can assume, and what they mean.

Any help out there?

Thanks,
Steve

I've always used an error handler with a messagebox that gives me the Err value and Error$ statement. There are some properties and methods that have lists of return codes, but not all.

FYI, the mkdir is probably not an EB function, but a shell function using an API call.

calculus

Yes, thanks for the reference to the Error$ function. I did a simple loop to generate all the messages, so I could see what they were. The actual text for Error 75 is "Path/File access error" so it is probably as you say a catch-all value for a shell error.

What did you put in your loop? I want to try it out myself. Thanks

Does anyone know how to get the list of errors for Attachmate from the error$ function?

Put this in a Sub:

For X = 1 to 32767
Err = X
msgbox Err & Space(5) & Error$
Next

calculus

Are you serious? We have to click ok 32,767 times? Yikes!
I think I'll modify so I can get out when I need to.. Thanks!

If you open Help in the Macro Editor in Extra and type "trappable" in the Find tab, it gives a list of trappable errors. I don't know if it is complete, but seems to give most notable.

Obviously you can also change the code to write to a file.

calculus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back