Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Attaching a Database on CD?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jward

MIS
Dec 21, 2000
US
I want to attach a database to SQL 2000 that is stored on a CD. The data in the database is static so the database will never change. Can this be done?

I wouldn't have thought so, no (although I haven't seen anywhere that actually confirms this).

Why on earth would you want to do this anyway? It doesn't make any sense to me. What happens when you eject the CD??

--James

I have a front-end program that will Identify the database on the CD when launched, Attach it and then when the program exits as with will detach it again. I would guess that if the Database was read only and the transaction Log was created on the hard-drive this would be possible.

Found this in BOL:

SQL Server data and log files can be placed on either FAT or NTFS file systems, but cannot be placed on compressed file systems.

This would seem to back up my assumption that you cannot attach the files direct from the CD, as CDs have their own file systems.

--James

I looked on BOL and couldn't find it so Thank You for your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back