Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Attached Images...

Status
Not open for further replies.

dBjason

Programmer
Mar 25, 2005
US

So say a friend sends you this awesome gif/jpg/bmp file attached to an e-mail. You like it so much you want to save it to, say, and actual directory on your computer, so you can enjoy looking at it from other windows applications (like, say, your active desktop!).

How the heck do you save the file to a local directory? You can copy and paste into M$ Word, but you don't want a .doc file, you want a .gif/.jpg/.bmp! And you don't have photoshop or other graphics software installed, is it even remotely possible?

Any way to just save the file "as-is"???

Thanks,
Jason

While in the body of the message; 1.select (single click) on the attachment 2.then do a right-mouse click, this will display a menu of what can be done against the attachment. 3.Select save and you will be presented with a dialogue box where you can specify the location for the saved attachment.

Nope, there's no save option available. That's why I'm listing this here.

All I get is document properties, copy, copy as link, clear, bookmark, edit, print, and encoding.

Anyone else know of a way?

Are you sure that you have the attachment selected??? The attachment icon should be enclosed in box when selected... and you will have selection options to save, delete, etc. on the selected attachment...

Yep, I'm pretty sure. Left-clicked it, right-clicked it, double-clicked it, I only get the menu items listed above.

Do you have the possibility of saving other file types, or is it impossible for you to save anything at all ?
Also, is this issue restricted to this single mail, or does it concern every image/file type you recieve ?

Pascal.

If it's an attached Word document or Excel sheet, it's a radically different deal (View - Launch - Detach). I have not recieved any other image files on Lotus yet, so I don't know if this happens with other image files/types

It may be that your PC does not have software installed that can view or open the attachment filetype... What is the filetype of the attachment?

Especially since you can view - launch - detach MS office files.

Is it really an attachment you have? If you can copy and paste but can't Save/Detach, it sounds as if you've got an embedded image, not an attachment. If you can see the picture in the email, that's the case, but if it's an attachment you don't see the actual image, just an icon for the attachment.

Assuming it's an embedded image, you will need to paste it into a graphics package of some kind to be able to save it as a jpg etc. If you're using Windows, you'll have good old Paint available under Accessories, which will do the job.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back