Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ATTACH SBS2012ESSENTIALS SERVER TO SBS2003 NETWORK

Status
Not open for further replies.

wnterhawk

MIS
Nov 13, 2001
US
We have an SBS2003 Server that has been the only server for years. I recently built a test SBS2012 Essentials Server to use initially as a Storage computer. I want to use it to backup the main computers in the company and then after I have learned more about it promote it to the DC etc.

In order to make it ...I have to give it it's own local domain. The main domain is called (let's call it) domain.local so the new SBS2012 Server is now domain2.local

I would like to use it to back up the original 2003server. but if I run //domain2/connect it wants to add the old server to the new domain. How can I do this without doing so or at least without affecting the old domain?

Or am I barking up the wrong tree altogether
THanks in advance for any help

A+, Network+, and Security+ certified Being certified just shows you how much you don't know.

Personally, I think you're barking up the wrong tree on two aspects. I would defer to others with more experience though.
1. Having a two domain system
2. Not moving the DC function over (migrating most everything) to the new SBS 2012 Essentials

Once migrated, I would use the OLD server as the backup server. You would have easy connectivity between both servers and the clients and both servers if they're on the same domain.

In the short term if you need to backup the computers (not clear whether you would also backup the server), you might think about a NAS drive as a dumping ground for data.

Migration:

Actually I agree with you... ultimately ... but this is only a test to see if this in fact could work for us. For now it's going to go to our West Coast Office (we are in NY here) so I just want to know if I do this will it cause other / new problems that I don't forsee. I'm just trying to set it up for test purposes so that;s why I'm not just migrating everything over. When (if) we like what we see and decide to make the move permanently I'll do just as you suggested ...making a new server (and send this one to west coast).
Thanks

A+, Network+, and Security+ certified Being certified just shows you how much you don't know.

I would add the new server to the existing domain and then make it a DC in the same domain. That way you don't have to migrate all the users profiles and really deal with end-of-life issues when you decide you need to retire the old server. Having a DC on each coast (as long as there is connectivity (VPN) between them should be fine.

I've done 6-7 of these migrations so far, and they work.

Dave Shackelford
ThirdTier.net
TrainSignal.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back