Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ATM Configuration help

Status
Not open for further replies.

ghostils

Technical User
May 4, 2002
US

Hi I have a more specific post in the Cisco Switches thread, however I was wondering if someone could tell me if ATM devices absolutely require an ATM switch to talk to each other. The reason I ask is I want to hook my Catalyst 3000 w/ATM mod to my Win2k Server with ForeRunner ATM Nic, via an SC->SC Duplex MMF cable, is this possible (in a generic ATM standpoint, independent of the mentioned hardware)?

Thanks,
-ghost[iLs]

Good question.
I, too, would be interested in the answer to this question. Also, what is the cheapest set up to allow Cisco switches to do ATM?

Hi,

If both the interface cards on your Catalyst and Win2k server supports ATM then you'll be able to set up ATM connections between the two of them.

Regards. Pierre
Montreal,Quebec,Canada

I remember I had two Fore ethernet switches (don't remember the model) with OC3 uplinks. Normally you connect it to an ATM switch, But I got them to work together by using a cross over fiber cable.
This was a long time ago, don't remember the details.

Peter.

As my first post to this forum. I cannot see why not, all you need to do is configure the Cisco port as an ATM User to Network Interface (UNI) and make sure the Management VCC's provisioned are mirrored at both ends.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back