Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ati tv tuner xp support 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

glock21

ISP
Sep 28, 2003
CA
I upgraded from win 98 to xp pro and up dated all the ati drivers I could find but it still does not run and there are no error msgs. help!

I finally got my All In Wonder 9000 Pro working after seven months. For the most part the freezing/locking occurs at the point where its not annoying(maybe once/twice a month). Such shouldn't happen, but its a lot better then before.

I updated my motherboard bios, a fresh clean install of XP, installed the Catalyst software that came with the card and then installed my VIA 4 in 1 driver.

So again its working smoothly minus my PCs default sound driver can not be reinstalled or recognized no matter what I do. But, again the soundcard I bought/installed is the solution.

Downfalls I still am experiencing is the ability to record using such feature with the card cause of my no sound problem. But, thats minor after everything else. Cheers, Chaser!

In my system, the sound gets recorded from the audio card. If the audio card is not receiving sound from the ATI card, or if the sound card's recording controls are not set up right, no sound will be present in the recorded video file.

I hate to say this but maybe you are all overlooking an important item. Not only have some of you been having problems with various models of the ATI card but also various other hardware. The one common denominator is not ATI but rather "XP". I've been using ATI cards for years and have several of the All-in-Wonder Pro line and no problems with any of them. I think the reason is that I have to keep business systems running with fault tolerant capabilities and no down time - therefore my office and test-lab needs to be very stable. What I have found, is that business systems are quite stable with Windows 2000 O/S...and so are the ATI video cards. i/e: don't blame the ATI cards... look at the obvious common denominator..."XP".
No, I'm not an ATI rep, just a very satisfied customer.

Let me put some info collected all over:
First my spec asus p4p800 p4 2,6 ati tv wonder, ati radeon 9600, 512 p3200 and creative SB.

I agree with TheCalculator (MIS), but all the ati hardware has the xp logo on it so ... ? (They have to support it or at least say that they are trying)

-If you set the agp to 4X helps to resolve a lot of problems.
-If u turn the Fast Write in some cases stops rebooting the computer ( smartgart tab if using catalyst 3.9 or +)
-for recording the fix (from above) resoled 2 of my client problems.
-FOR my computer the fix did not solve the tv freezing when turning off.

What amazes me is that this problem it's on the web for at least 7 month and ati did not put this in the known problems of their drivers.
I'M FRUSTRADED!!!

RenatoServos,
When I'm really frustrated with a problem, I find that sometimes I'm just thinking too hard and just don't see clearly. I try the following: Take a step back, relax, then realize that maybe the problem is not what we think it is. I use Norton Ghost to create an image of my current system so that I can easily re-image back to where I'm at. Now, just maybe the problem is a conflict with something else rather than the ATI vs O/S. Since I have a ghost image that I can restore in a matter of minutes, I now start fresh with a clean install of O/S and let ATI video temporarily pull generic video drivers from Windows installatin. Next, Perform windows updates. It seems to me that I remember from somewhere that ATI video requires latest directX be installed PRIOR to the ATI video drivers. I think I also remember something about directX ver 8.0 required something additional but that ??? whatever it was is not needed with directX 9.0b, it's included within 9.0b. Now, hopefully with clean O/S, latest windows updates including directX have been installed, my installation of ATI video drivers and video applications will work. If this is true, problem is conflict with something else. Install rest of items one at a time testing after each individual install until the problem presents itself at which time that should identify the culprit.
If you don't have Norton Ghost, perhaps you have a spare Hard Drive so that you could remove your current hard drive temporarily, then try a clean install as described above, on the spare hard drive, thus preserving your existing installation.
I hope this method solves your problem. Good Luck

I've TrueImage and I have tried every little possibility (all versions of the catalyst and MMC) the last driver that came out (Ati said that they will try to release one new version every month, and last year they missed the last 2 ) the uninstaller from Ati works fine but u have to reboot ur comp every software u install, but i'm using a fresh and clean xp image all the time (with all service packs and updates). Since I downgrade the AGP to 4x I can run almost every game with no problem, but whenever I'm watching tv on full screen and whant to close it or minimize it or see the channel surfing (all the channels in the same window) ,the MMC freeze. I can delete the processes and on the newest catalyst driver (4.1 or 4.2) and then restart the software (on the old one it leaves some BS running and you must restart the computer to be able to start it again).
I've tryed every little thing that I read on message board and I'm still with this little problem.
I have had on the past (at least 6 years ago) another ati card (all in wonder) and it worked perfectly, that's the only reason that I still bought the ATI brand. I know there were some problem with the nvidea vivo line, but they fixed it on the first driver.
Another very strange thing is that the old video card that I had did not use almost no memory and for sure did not slow down my machine. The Tv wonder takes at least 3 secs to start ,1/2 a second to switch channels uses a lot of resorces and some memory + it freezes...and belive me, I spend a lot of money trying to get all what i needed, and a lot of time to try to fix it.
anyway, I'm upset also because i bought this video card for one big reason: Half life 2 and i'm still waiting for

To RenatoServos,
A quick thought that maybe overlooked, Is the ATI video card an add-on to a motherboard that has built in video?
If so, does the motherboard allow disabling the built in video via jumpers or CMOS?

Another thought, my older All-in-Wonder Pro card only had 4mb on it with 256 MB motherboard Ram and it worked fine in Win98 but in Win 2000 had difficulty in Channel Surfing but everything else works great. I suspect it's a memory size issue as a lot of Windows 2000 req more memory and I think XP req even more.

My All-in-Wonder 128 Pro with 32 meg works great, also motherboard with 256 MB motherboard Ram.

I did have an issue with an earlier downloaded ATI Multimedia Center App Software 1 or 2 yrs ago and found that it worked best with an earlier version.

Also, the ATI drivers sometimes can be card specific. You need to get the "102" number off your video card, then check on the ATI website for the cross check and it will give you the correct software download needed. It also can make a difference whether the card is a retail ATI mfg card or if it's an OEM version. The ATI website goes into more detail about that... Sorry I don't have the URL at the moment.

Good Luck

I just purchased Dell 8300 running xp professional. I have an ATI 9800 pro 12bmb video card and a seperate ATI Tv Wonder card. I was experiencing multiple lockups with the tv tuner and some problems with the MultiMedia Center. The ATI support tech suggested I do a system restore to a time when i did not have the tv tuner loaded, then install using the new files on ATI support page for the TV Wonder. He said not to just uninstall since all the drivers are not removed. This fixed the software issue with Multi Media Center, the the TV tuner still locked up. I then found an article saying that Microsoft has a hot fix that addresses TV Tuner lockups when using HyperThread technology, which my machine does. The MS KB article is 817589. You have to call MS to get them to e-mail you the hotfix. I applied it last night and did not have a single lockup. You can find the ATI article that references this hotfix by searching on "Hyperthread" in ATI support page.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back