Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ati tv tuner xp support 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

glock21

ISP
Sep 28, 2003
CA
I upgraded from win 98 to xp pro and up dated all the ati drivers I could find but it still does not run and there are no error msgs. help!

when you say it doesn't work but also doesn't give an error message wehat exactly is happening?

Tezdread
"With every solution comes a new problem"

there was a brief flash of the program logo and then nothing, but I ununstalled everything and found some additional instructions on the net and tried those and voila after "only" 3 hours of struggle it now works. another "satisfied" ati customer.
thanks,
tony

I am having problems getting my ati all-in-wonder pro tuner working, I cannot capture channels. I have just built this xp system. Please can you post the info you found on the web any any other info.

I did a google search and found some additional updated ati drivers and got it to work for a while but it became unstable and kept freezing and crashing my system to the point that I had to pull the card from my system.
the problem you are describing seems similar to the problem I first had when I installed it on win98 it lost all my settings every time I restarted the system. newer drivers found via google seemed to more or less resolve the problem but I never got all the features working properly. all in all a very disapointing product.
sorry I could not be of more help, but you can find a lot of good stuff via google.
regards,
tony

Thank you Tony, I have been trying to get this working for a few months, unfortunatley I have had problems with every part of this build to one degree or another, most stopping the pc working so this hasn't had my full attention. I am just installing 3Com 11g Wireless Office connect ands thats not working yet, this 'plug and play' DOESN'T very often in my case.

Anyway, I am now thinking that my problem with the TV Tuner is not down to installation setup problems. It is that the 'ATI All-in-Wonder 9000 Pro' doesn't work with XP even tho the spec says it does. I am not interested in game playing so this card seemed adequate.

I have been thru all the same loops as you have plus I have spoken to ATI support who suggested all the same plus.

Does anybody else have any views on this subject?
Ian.

AOpen H600B Midi Tower 350w
amd 2800+ XP 512kb
Gigabyte GA-7VAXP-A Ultra
512mb 333mhz ddr pc3200
DiamondMax Plus9 120GB SATA150
ATI All-in-Wonder 9000 Pro
etc etc etc

Just like glock21, My "ATI All-In-Wonder Pro" 8 Meg Video card freezes the machine randomly when using the tuner.

Drivers I'm using:
ATI Multimedia Center 7.2 noDVD.exe
ATI AIW Pro Driver wme-j5-30-1-b02.exe

I've had this lock-up freezing problem on Win98, but it would only occur once a week or so. Under XP, it occurs at least every 30 minutes, rendering the tuner useless.

I've tried the card in a different PC - same issue.

I'm about to give up... Anyone have the cure?

AIW 9700 pro using MMC 8.1 and 8.5 has 'frozen' after coming out of MMC, but never while in it. It is running on Win XP pro with drivers 1-2 months old.

Hi, I found this post on another Forum today referring to the inability of capturing non North American channels on ATI all-in-wonder cards:

I've just had the same problem. If you have the latest DirectX (9.0b) it stops the tuner from working.
Microsoft have released a fix, which solved it for me. Find it at:

I have installed this new fix and it works, although I can't get the sound to work yet!!! Any ideas??

my probs did not involve any non ntsc formats so I dont think this fix will do me any good. has anyone had any sucess running ati tv tuner cards on xp preferably something a year or 2 old.

When i installed my tuner as per ati web page, it would freeze up, tryed every thing i could think of. Finally reinstalled direct-x and it works perfectly.

Greetings Guys

I also have a ATI TV Wonder VE and it has the same problem. It runs pretty good under Win98 but locks up the machine under Win XP. I found on the Microsoft web site that this is a problem with Win XP, it has something to do with hyperthread micros which is in all the new Ghz processors. They claim to have a Beta fix, but I have been unable to get ahold of it. For the mean time I am running a dual boot machine and going back to win98 when I want to use the TV/VCR.

If anybody comes up with the fix, please let me know. I also have spent a lot of time looking for the answer, ATI was no help.

AMD 1.9G + XP Processor
Biostar M7VIG Pro 266FSB, DDR RAM 512MB
Dual 80G Maxtor Drives
ATI TV Wonder VE
Savage 3D PRO VGA APG 8X

OK I seem to have found a fix for the ATI-TV Wonder VE and XP problem. As it turns out my second RAM was not working. I got new RAM and now have 512MB and the TV card has been working, infact I have the TV running right now. The Manual says you only need 8MB, but with XP it appears to be a lot more.

I have had this TV card since July 2003 and have been trying to get it to remain stable since then. Its awesome to be able to watch TV and surf the net at the same time, but geesh why is so hard to get this working stable.

My problems are the blue screen of death and then the whole thing just freezing up. I just updated my AGP driver...VIA 4 in 1 drivers as ATI instructed me to do so. Hopefully that will solve my problems with this card?

Specs
HP Pavilion a287
AMD 2600+(AMD Athlon + XP processor)
512 DDR SDRAM
Windows XP Professional

I have an AIW 9700 pro running under Win XP pro since March. It works fine.

Thanks to Huggy6ear for finding that Microsoft download to restore the TV tuner, I had lost mine 2 days after getting new computer, was well p****d with that. Now have great TV but again like Huggy6ear have no sound. Did anybody come up with an answer to that one, please post it for us strugglers. Thanks all.

Errgh. This TV card just doesn't want to work right for me..not in a stable fashion. At least for the last seven months or more! Though about three weeks ago I seemed to finally getting this to work stably. I was finally enjoying what I had envisioned what I could do with such TV card. But, then I found out if I want this to work properly I can not have any sound. I can install my PCs sound drivers all I want, but they don't take. So then I went out and bought a fifty buck sound card and installed it. Finally I have sound and I can watch my downloads(TV shows/movies)via Media player. I can also surf the internet while lying down using my TV as the monitor. So I was like great this works let me try to use the TV function of the card and when I did that.....it rebooted my computer(tried 3 times...3 reboots). Then I thought what happenned if i disabled my newly installed sound card drivers and then tried the TV. I did such and boom the TV works great and I can listen through my stereo. Worked fine for two/three weeks. So maybe getting yourself a sound card to install will help you with the sound problem.

FOr me as of today I no longer see video using the TV function. This is frusturating(could it be my cable company...though with all the problems I am thinking its the damn card and my HP Pavillion a287)! What has been your experiences everyone. When it works its the coolest thing! If anyone would like to AIM me please so to discuss this and possible we can help one another solve our problems. My AIM is my username here. Cheers, Chaser!

Hi,

I downloaded the patch on to a friends PC, who has DX9.0b, but the patch failed to install saying 'unable to locate catalogue files'.

My problem is that the TV card displays the channel for a flash, and then looses the conenection and just shows snow.

XP Home. Dunno the spec, tho its a brand new PC.

Neil.

I have reinstalled xp several times now, I updated the bios on my motherboard and am using the 8.8 version of the tv driver and tv seems to be working better now but some features in the ati software do not work as it does not seem to recognize my nvidia gforce 2 video card.

Some questions: Are you guys running initialization for the ATI card? What connection has been made to the sound card? How are the sound card's recording and playback controls set up? I'm running Win XP Pro and an AIW 9700 Pro. Win XP Pro came on the machine, it was not an upgrade. Memory is 512meg. It has no problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back