Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ATI Radeon IGP 320M Video Driver problem with Win 2k PRof.

Status
Not open for further replies.

sm43

Programmer
Dec 1, 2002
US

I have ATI Radeon IGP 320M Video Card on my HP Pavilion

4420 laptop. I've just installed Windows 2000 Prof. on

the computer, and I can't find a driver for the Video

Card for Win 2000 that would work.

I've tried installing the appropriate driver from ATI's

website and from a few other locations (including

driverguide.com) - but during the installation of the

driver, I always get this error:

"INF Error - Video Driver Not Found"

This is followed by:

"Setup was unable to complete the installation. Try to setup your display adapter with a Standard VGA driver before running setup."

I looked to see if Windows would install a Standard VGA driver for the card - or if a Standard VGA driver was presented in the list of drivers available for a Video Card - but neither was true.

Right now my windows display area is at about 6 1/2 " x 6 1/2 " , which sucks.

Baffled and perplexed.

Saad

Did you check the HP site for a driver?

Yes I did. HP doesn't have any drivers listed for this particular laptop (the drivers list comes back empty when I choose this model - probably hasn't been updated yet). It's not that I haven't found driver files for this video card for Windows 2000 - the problem is that everything that I've found has crashed with those errors.

Either something is missing from these driver packages - or I really do need to install at least a Standard VGA driver first - before installing the actual fully functional driver that's made for the card. Don;t know where to get the Standard VGA driver from..

Saad

I had the same issue once (was with 98) where it wanted the standard vga driver before it would accept the actual driver for the card. I think all I did was to remove whatever was there in the device manager for the vid card and all the files from the driver I was atempting to install, then reboot and let windows redetect the card. Then just next through the detect hardware that comes up and let windows find what it wants, which turned out to be "standard vga driver". Once it was all finished I then pointed windows to the correct drivers and installed them . That worked.

If you're going through Hell...keep going... (Winston Churchill)
RocKeRFelLerZ

Ok . I got the video driver to go so that I'm able to set it at a maximum

of 1024 x768 resolution. I can't set it any higher than that.

Also, when my system's display shuts off automatically after x number of

minutes of idle time (according to Power setting) - it cannot be powered

back on. I try the sleep recover switch, power switch and everything else.

Saad

1024 x768 is likely the max resolution of the lcd panel for the laptop. Are you now using the proper video driver for the laptop? And is the monitor listed properly as an lcd panel? If it is not then that is one likely cause of the sleep problem, although there could be others. Laptops usually have software to control power management that is seperate from the windows stuff. If the wrong drivers are installed or if it hasn't been installed at all, then this function is not going to work properly.

If you're going through Hell...keep going... (Winston Churchill)
RocKeRFelLerZ

i have the same problem on my computer. The only difference is i am running winxp pro but i get the same error messages. All i want to do is install the standard vga driver

oh i forgot this problem occurs on any computer i have ever put a ati card in.Some times i can inatall the vga driver though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back