Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ATI Radeon 9600 Pro problem.... 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Colbycol

Technical User
May 29, 2003
GB
My friend purchased the above graphics card at the weekend and simply cannot get it to work. He is running a Pentium 4 1.5ghz, 384mb RAM, and is using a Packard Bell Evergreen 2 motherboard (version 2). When putting the new graphics card into the AGP slot he gets nothing when he switches on the power! It seems as though the graphics card isn't initialising the monitor. If he turns off the monitor then turns it back on again he gets the message 'no signal'.
To rule out a hardware fault with the graphics card he took it back to the shop and they tried it there in front of him with no problems at all!
I would appreciate any ideas that people throw at this! I am a bit perplexed !!!!!!!!!
Oh and we have tried flashing the bios to the latest version and that made no difference.

Many thanks

Colbycol.

Same issue with the 9800 PRO. Updated the BIOS and the AGP drivers. Unloaded the old graphics drivers. Removed the old card and put the ATO Radeon 9800 Pro in and NOTHING!! Got a quick flash on the keyboard, but NO monitor and no mouse light. Using the D850GB Intel mobo. When I put the 9800 into an older computer (820 mobo; no driver updates, no BIOS updates) it worked. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Check the BIOS to make sure that the integrated video card is disabled and that the AGP slot is enabled.

IslandCustom: Thanks for the info. I checked and the Intel D850GB motherboard that I have and it does not have integrated graphics and the AGP slot is enabled. Is there some other mobo graphics switch I need to be looking for? I've checked CMOS and can't find anything there that gives me a hint as to what's wrong. Anything else you can think of? Thanks, HK..

Many thanks for your help everyone. The problem has now been identified and rectified. It turns out his mobo will only support up to 4x AGP and the Radeon card is an 8x AGP card!! D'oh!
He now has a 4x AGP card and all is working fine! I should know I totally re-built his machine last night with XP Pro and when I left he was happily playing Call of Duty....
What a hard life I lead heh heh!!

Colbycol.

lesgray: There is a power cord for the Radeon 9800 Pro and I hooked it inline according to the instructions (directly to the power source with the extension going into the hard drive). I have power to the video card; in fact there is power throughout the machine: fans all work, on-board lights illuminated; I just get a quick blink of lights on the keyboard, then nothing: no monitor, no mouse (light), nothing. Any other thoughts?

Colbycol: The video card I am trying to install is the Radeon 9800 Pro, which is a 4X/8X AGP and the mobo I have is 4X. The one you were trying to install was a 9600 Pro which also shows to be compatible with AGP 4X (1.5V), 8X (0.8v) or Universal AGP 3.0 bus configuration (4X/8X). You wrote that the 9600 was an 8X AGP Card, but it should work on a 4X AGP mobo. What am I missing here? Just want to make sure the solution was what you thought it was, since it may help me out. Thanks

lesgray: Before I put the new card I updated the Bios and installed the Intel Chipset Software Installation Utility, which installs the Windows INF files. The INF files inform the operating system how to properly configure the chipset for specific functionality, such as AGP, USB, Core PCI, and ISAPNP services. Then I removed the drivers from the old card (GeForce3), removed the old card and installed the 9800 and fired it up.

lesgray: yes; when I re-install the Nvidia it works fine. Power source is 340 watt.

lesgray: Just ran a diagnostic using 'Sandra' software and it shows the following: AGP bus on Hub 1 ; Multiplier= 1/2X. The tech notes on the Intel D850GB shows that it has "AGP 2/4X graphics cards supported - 1.5V only". Maybe the mobo is not set to 4X? How would I do that?

lesgray: I checked the BIOS and there is no option to change AGP to 4X; there are no speed settings at all under 'AGP'. Only option is the aperture setting. Do you know how to turn 'OFF' 'Fast Writes'? Again, no options in the BIOS. Thanks...

lesgray: How did you find out that the 850 is AGP 2.1? I can't find anything specific on that anywhere? It would sure help when I bring this card back; the seller told me it would work on the 850. Also the 9800 shows that it's 4X/8X; where did you get the info that it was AGP 3.0. Again, this would help. thanks...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back