Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ATI All-In-Wonders

Status
Not open for further replies.

smaxted

Vendor
Jun 16, 2002
CA
I want to buy an ATI all in wonder but I dont have the cash for a 9700 all-in-wonder...i was just wondering what is the next best all-in-wonder (in your opinion) for gaming and for video editing and such.. thanks Scotty Mac a.k.a smaxted

"Another day, another problem"

If your looking for an all-in-wonder, I would definitely say that you should get the aiw 8500. Its a little bit cheaper than the 9700, but it's still very powerful. I have really enjoyed it, and have never had any problems. It does everything, not just gaming (I'm a bit of a programmer, and it compiles 3D levels very well). In my opinion, the aiw 8500 is one of, if not the most versatile graphics card out there. Definitely worth the money (and if you find the right place, u can get it pretty cheap).

Both AIW that I am looking at both the 7500 and 8500 have 64 mb DDR...the 7500 is $100 cheaper and comes with a remote..do you still recomend the 8500?? Does anyone know the comparison of the core/memory clocks of both? Scotty Mac a.k.a smaxted

AIW that I am looking at both the 7500 and 8500 have 64 mb DDR...the 7500 is $100 cheaper and comes with a remote..do you still recomend the 8500?? Does anyone know the comparison of the core/memory clocks of both? Scotty Mac a.k.a smaxted

Anyways thanks for your help guys I have decided to go with the AIW 8500 I've heard good things...thanks for your help! Scotty Mac a.k.a smaxted

I have the All-In-Wonder Radeon 8500 128mb & it's great.

The 8500DV is 64mb & has the added feature of a firewire port (if that matters to you).

Also, I believe that the 8500DV has a digital TV tuner- the 128mb version went to analog.

Here's an excellent review site:

This guy, Rodney Reynolds, gives video reviews on tons of hardware. Be warned- I have cable, not sure how it runs on dial-up.

Is there musch difference between the Analog and Digital TV tuner?? Scotty Mac a.k.a smaxted

I have two computers we use at work to edit video. Both have AIW 8500DV cards. They work very well. Prior to these cards I used an AIW 128Pro with 32Meg. It was fine for analog. I had a Pinnacle DV200 for digital capture. While it was not a bad setup I had trouble with Premiere recognizing the Pinnacle card all the time. The AIW 8500DV performs flaulessly. We also indulged and loaded Unreal tournament 2003 and Quake III on to one of the editing machines. It is a P4-2.4 with hyperthreading on a Asus P4S?? board with 512Mg of memory. The games ran flawlessly with excellent screen resolution at even the highest settings. So I think the AIW 8500 will do well for gaming too.

I pitted my 8500dv against a GF4 Ti 4200, and it only came in about 600 points lower. (7450 for my computer and 8000 for the GF4) Fairly respectable, since the 8500 is the equivalent to the original GF3 (not the Ti varieties). Plus, you get all the added stuff of remote, TV tuner, video inputs, firewire, etc etc that the AIW offers. I'm impressed by it, and will probably stick with ATI from now on if I upgrade the vid card anytime soon

thanks for your help guys Im gonna buy the card
Scotty Mac a.k.a smaxted

I just built a new PC ans installed the ALL in Wonder 7500 in the new machine. Previously is was installed in a Compaq Presrio. In the Compaq I was able to select the ATI TV Tuner Theater as the video source for my webcam progrmas..like ISPQ or Yahoo Messenger. In the new machine the TV tuner is not available in the webcam source options. I did not do anythiung special before that iI was aware of. I have reinstalled the druivers and software several times..Does anyone have any ideas?I can see the video capture from my sony handycam while in the ATI TV option but I want it to be an option for other programs to use as before. ANY and ALL ideas welcome.

Try here:

This is ATI's email help form. I realize it's a real shot in the dark but...

On the issue of what's wrong- so many variables. I would try not only removing the display adapter & drivers but also anything that refers to them in the registry as well. Get the newest drivers from ATI for the 7500AIW- start from scratch. I assume that your new PC was not one with onboard video? No chance that the onboard is interfering?
Have you done a search on your new MB, chipset, & ATI as far as known conflicts?

Also, as this is really a new topic, you should copy it & post new - you'll get more responses that way. ;^)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back