Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ATI AIW 9800 setup Doesn't dma enabled on HD or Drives

Status
Not open for further replies.

goobis

Technical User
Jul 21, 2002
Hi I just recently Upgraded my System:
MOBO:Abit NF8
Proc:AMD Athlon 64 3000+ 2.01Ghz
Video: ATI AIW 9800
HardDrive: Western Digital - WD1200jb 120gb
DVDRW: Lite On SOHW 812S
CDRW: Yamaha CRW-F1E
NVIDIA nForce 250 Parallel ATA Controller (Onboard)
After Installing the Video Card, When I do a Configuration check the Result comes back telling me DMA for the HD and Drives is not Enabled. Now I did find in the Device Manager in XP under the Nvidia ATA Controller that it was set to let the Bios set DMA. So I Changed it to Ultra DMA 100 for the HD and DMA 33 for the Drives and Rebooted .When I run the Video Config Check it Still Reads the DMA for the HD and Drives is not Enabled. I have checked the BIOS for any adjustments for this and found None. Any Suggetions?

Look in Device Manager - IDE controllers - primary (and secondary) channel - advanced settings. See what the DMA settings are there. You want "DMA if available" checked, and see what DMA mode is indicated.

Hi Micker377
Yeah,I did that,My motherboard uses a NVidia nForce 250 Parallel ATA Controller(v2.6)and I set it to Ultra DMA 5. It was Set to (Let Bios select transfer mode). Along with making those changes I went into the Bios and disabled the IDE Dma Control setting too. Now in my ATI All in Wonder card Configuration, this is where it tells me that the DMA is not enabled. In order for the DVD Playback to be smooth it needs the DMA setting to be enabled. All in All, it just Doesn't recognize that it has been changed. Now Just in case your asking did I Restart the computer
after making the changes YES I DID,it does accept the change in the Bios and in System Settings in XP. Any other Suggestions please. Thanks for responding 377

Along with making those changes I went into the Bios and disabled the IDE Dma Control setting too"

You went into the BIOS, and disabled the DMA. Then you tried to set the Nvidea to use the BIOS settings you disabled. Is this correct?

Wouldnt you want to enable dma in bios and then use another setting, either in device mgr or thru nvidia to further enable dma?

Good advice + great people = tek-tips

goobis,

OK, here's the scoop. Many optical devices are NOT DMA compatible. Most burners are, but not all of them. So first of all, are you guessing that DMA was enabled on them before you installed the 9800, or are you 100% sure?

Also, make sure you have it set to Auto Detect and DMA if available. There's no reason to manually set the speed, which I don't recall is even an option anyway. You might also try dividing the drives up onto seperate IDE channels. Sometimes a PIO Mode device will cause a DMA device to run in the same mode. Separating them might help.

The message you are referring to by ATI's card is just a warning. Although it is true that DMA is preferred, it is not always an option.

~cdogg
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Albert Einstein
[tab][navy]For general rules and guidelines to get better answers, click here:[/navy] faq219-2884

Thanks for your input folks. OK, Here's what I did, I went back into the Bios and enabled it to auto-select my DMA Transfer mode for my Hard Drive and Disk Drives, and I changed XP's,(Control Panel/System/Hardware/Device Manager)setting, in the ATA/ATAPI Controller back, to let the Bios set DMA, Because either way, it didn't make a difference to ATI's config test, because, it still doesn't recognize the DMA Transfer Mode. It's got to be an ATI thing, because performance hasn't changed. And I don't use ATI's Player to play DVDs, I use Power DVD, because, it's better. Sorry if I confused anyone, I was just trying to find out why, it would read that as if it wasn't configured properly (I went by the Book). Thanks Goobis

goobis,

Let's be clear on one thing. In XP, you should have it set to "Auto Detect" and "DMA if available" for the IDE controller advanced settings. There's not an option to "let the BIOS set DMA".

With that said and assuming that is what you meant, what does XP report to you about that IDE channel now after rebooting? Is it in DMA mode or PIO mode?

~cdogg
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Albert Einstein
[tab][navy]For general rules and guidelines to get better answers, click here:[/navy] faq219-2884

Hey cdogg In Windows XP, Control Panel/Hardware/Device Manager under IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers
There is NVIDIA nForce3 250 Parallel ATA Controller. Under that, is a Tab Primary Channel in that, is Master Drive. In that Tab, There is the Hard Drive Info and right under that is Transfer Mode. In a greyed out Box it Reads "(Check Mark)Ultra DMA5-Ultra 100". Right under that is a "(Check Mark) Let Bios Select Transfer Mode". This is the Setting, I changed, to see if, deselecting,"Let Bios select Transfer Mode",Would change the outcome of ATI's Config Test. To the last part of your question yes, it it is in UDMA5-ATA100. Not that anything in Windows,would tell me this,I got Everest,a program that lets you look inside your PC to find that out. Thanks cdogg

OK, I believe you! It must be a setting specific to your ATA controller driver.

The settings that most see is in Device Manager under "IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers", then you would go into the properties of either the Primary or Secondary IDE Channel. Under the Advanced Settings tab, you would see the settings I was referring to. In your case, you may not have this entry in Device Manager if the nForce3 chipset driver has replaced it with it's own customized entry.

But yeah, if it's listed as running in UDMA mode for all attached drives, then I would ignore the ATI warning.

~cdogg

I didnt say it clear enough, but the dev mgr setting under ide controllers is what i was referring to as well.
But i guess the nforce3 chipset kinda takes over there, as stated.

Good advice + great people = tek-tips

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back