Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ATI 9800 Pro Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

hunkachunka

Technical User
Dec 29, 2003
US
Installed the ATI Radeon 980 Pro 128 and when I booted up there was no post. I updated the BIOS and the AGP drivers (actually Intel specs show there are no integrated graphics on my D850GB Intel motherboard so I installed the Intel Chipset Software Installation Utility, which installs the Windows INF files. The INF files inform the operating system how to properly configure the chipset for specific functionality, such as AGP). I then removed the old graphics card drivers (Nvidia GeForce3). Then removed the GeForce3 and installed the 9800 Pro, fired it up and NOTHING!! Got a quick flash on the keyboard, but no monitor and no mouse, no boot. I have power to the video card; in fact there is power throughout the machine; fans all work, on-board lights illuminated, etc. Power source is 340 watt and according to ATI this is enough. There is a power cord for the 9800 Pro and I hooked it inline according to the instructions (directly to the power source with the extension feeding the hard drive). When I re-install the Nvidia it works fine.

When I put the 9800 into an older computer (VC820 motherboard; no driver updates, no BIOS updates) it worked fine. (I did notice that 'Fastwrite is NOT enabled on the old computer and IS enabled on the one I'm trying to install the 9800 in. Don't know if that would make a difference on the 'no posting' issue).

I checked and the Intel D850GB motherboard does not have integrated graphics and the AGP slot is enabled. ATI says I need to set the mobo AGP to 4X, but I've checked the BIOS and can't find anything there that allows me to set the AGP. The only option showing is the aperture setting: either 64 or 256 and I chose 64. Is there some other mobo graphics switch I need to be looking for? The tech notes on the Intel D850GB shows "AGP 2/4X graphics cards supported”.

Any ideas, suggestions, or solutions (that’s what I really need) would be appreciated. Thanks...

kiddpete: Not really. lesgray wrote that the 9800 Pro was a 3.0 AGP card, but the specs show it as a 4/8X card and the 850 mobo tech notes show that it is a 2/4X AGP mobo, so it seems like they should be compatible, at least AGP-wise. lesgray pointed me to a website: which shows the difference between the 3.3V card and the 1.5V card. The diagram at the top (1.5V) is exactly what the 9800 Pro looks like: it fits into the 850 mobo. Also, I put the 9800 into a much older mobo (VC820)which is a 1/2X board (different computer) and it worked. Any ideas? Thanks...

That's interesting hunkachunka. Looks like VC820 is also 1/2/4x AGP according to Intel ftp://download.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/VC820/73761101.pdf, but the AGP spec on it is only 2.0, so if it doesn't work on the one, it shouldn't work on the other. DOesn't make much sense....

I'll ask around and see if anyone is running that combination (D850GB & 9800pro)

Les Gray

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back