Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ATI 9700 PRO can't even finish the 3dmark3000 test???

Status
Not open for further replies.

silvertechs

Technical User
Apr 8, 2003
US
Hello,

This is my system: P4 2.5 GHZ, 1GB Kingston 333mHz DDR, Asustek MB P4S8X, IBM Harddrive 120GB, sound SB AUDIGY, Video ATI 9700 Pro 128MB and I have recently downloaded Microsofts Direct X 9.0.

Then I downloaded 3DMARKS3000 software, and the tests run ok until the nature test it then stops about 10 seconds into it and says Im out of video memory? How can this be? I must being doing wrong or have some setting wrong?

PLEASE HELP?

opps its 3dmark03 dunno where I got the 3003 bit...

I had a problem like that when running Nature in 3DMark02 fir the first time. The solution I found was to increase the AGP aperture size to 128Mb in the BIOS.
Factory standard is 64Mb. Recently ran 3DMark03 with the same settings on a GF4 Ti4600 and had no problems.

Nope I checked the bios aperture size it was set 128MB...

Do you know what the Video cache mode should be set to?

Any other ideas welcomed... thanks :>)

What version of Windows?

Have you tried downloading the latest ATI drivers for your card?

Is the card running at 4x or 8x AGP?

~cdogg

"The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."
- A. Einstein

Im running windows XP and yes I have the lastest drivers for the 9700 pro card.
Im trying to run it 8X mode, can this be because of that??

Thanks for the other response :>)

8X could be 'part' of the problem. Perhaps the motherboard or other components are having some kind of conflict. Try running it at 4X and see if that makes a difference.

~cdogg

- A. Einstein

Nope just ran the test again with it changed to 4X and I also changed it in the bios to 4X and 3Dmark03 stills said out of video memory.

Is this the error you're getting?

[tab]DrawIndexPrimitive Failed - Out of Video Memory

If so, then the problem is that your resolution and/or Anti-Aliasing settings are too high for the test to complete. The test will cause most if not all 128MB video cards to fail. That's just an example of how powerful this benchmark can be.

Try 2x or 4x Anti-Aliasing with a resolution of 1280 x 1024 or less for that test. ~cdogg

- A. Einstein

DrawIndexPrimitive Failed - Out of Video Memory

Yes that what I kept getting but...

I have followed your latest post and you were right!
I moved the slider from the 8X to 4X on the Anti-Aliasing in both open gl and direct 3d. and 3DMark03 then ran all test...

I did a comparison of how my machine stacks up with others and Cdogg my machine is a dog!, no pun intended! I only scored 725 points, that can't be very good?, what am I to do?

cdogg help?

Well of course, there could be a number of reasons. I'm not an avid gamer nor have I played with this benchmark. However, 3DMark03 has many settings that you can tweak to benchmark every aspect of a video card. If you leave them up too high, you can expect to get poor results.

Are you sure that the other scores you compared yours to were running with the same settings? For example, a system without Anti-Aliasing turned on may easily double the score of a system using 2x or 4x. Anti-Aliasing adds detail while hurting overall performance. For example, in 2x mode, pixels can each be drawn twice to help smooth jagged edges that might otherwise appear staggered.

There's more to it than just that. I suggest visiting the MadOnion website and post in the free forums out there. I'm sure someone will have the answer you're looking for!

It also wouldn't hurt to go to Start -> Run and type dxdiag. Hit OK and make sure readings are accurate...

~cdogg

- A. Einstein

Yes I would definately take a good look at your configuration - for comparison on 3DMark 2003:

CPU: 2.6.
GFX: 9700Pro.
RAM: 1GB Corsair (Dual DDR Mode).
SND: Audigy 2.
MB: GA-8INXP.
HD: RAID Western Digitals.

SCORE: 4500

Our systems are very similar so you should be getting a lot higher.

Nope, first machine I haven't to be honest (it seems to be more hassle than its worth).

Again, make sure the settings in the benchmark are the same. I can't stress that enough. Grenage's score is exactly the example I was looking for. His settings may be at the default, while you may have custom settings that you might have accidently changed.

If you can't figure out what settings you might have altered, do the following:

1) Uninstall 3DMark03
2) Remove the MadOnion folder from your hard drive (if it still exists)
3) Drop the resolution on your screen to match Grenage (a setting of 1024x768 at 24 or 32 bit is standard)
4) Reinstall 3dMark03
5) Run the standard test without changing any settings

~cdogg

- A. Einstein

Sorry yes I should have said, all setting were default - resolution 1024/32bit.

I haven't tweaked any hardware settings, it's a fresh build with the latest drivers.

I hope you have some luck with yours.

Grenage,

I see you have a very similar setup to mine, Identical apart from I don't use raid. Do you have any problems running the radeon in 8X agp?

I cannot get mine to run stable for any amount of time.
Installed all the lates chipset drivers and catalyst drivers etc.

CPU: 2.4
GFX: Sapphire 9700Pro.
RAM: 512MB Corsair (Dual DDR Mode).
SND: Audigy 2.
MB: GA-8INXP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back