Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Athlon XP system locking up

Status
Not open for further replies.

MackTheKnife

Technical User
Jul 18, 2002
BR
Ok, I assembled a system using a Soyo Dragon Plus, Athlon XP 1900+, 512@266 DDR, GeForce2MX440, and I can't get past the boot menu on a preexistatn windows xp install neither past the post-driver loading on xp install disk. Tried underclocking, tried underclocking memory, tried disabling onboard stuff, and some others. Any thoughts on this one?

Actually, I forgot. In either case, I get the old DOS blinking cursor and no response from the system (waited and waited, no use)

Normally install problems are caused by "bad" memory. Do you have a known good stick of memory to try?

Yes, tried it and it's no good

Athlon XP 1900+
MoBo Soyo Dragon Plus
512MB 266Mhz DDR RAM
GeForceFX 5200@325Mhz core/700Mhz memory
Samsung 60Gb 7200RPM HDD

Ok apparently the problem is WinXP related. Upon Linux installing no problems appeared. Any thoughts?

Go to and download the 3.5" flopy XP install disks, you'll need 6 disks.
Open the install program and it will copy the srartup infomation on to the 3.5" disks.
Now try starting up on those.

Hope that helps.

John

Try another CDrom device (if you have more than one.
The floppy trick does work but we were finding certain CDroms/writers would struggle booting XP up this way, changing for a differant brand of CDrom, or creating XP install disks usually fixes this initial installation problem.
Memory could also be suspect..
Martin

Replying helps further our knowledge, without comment leaves us wondering.

Installed ME (yuck) sucessfully, maybe'll try XP later... For now ME is good enough. Thanks guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back