Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Athlon XP 2600+ Barton Socket A (462) Ram settings? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

lordgalla

Technical User
Apr 1, 2005
US
Hi Guys,just a little confused,still trying to deal with older systems for my better half,who still just wants the older system.Make sence? ok here we go,right now she has a Athlon 1Gig cpu socket 462 on a Gigabyte Ep-8RDA3+ motherboard with 512 meg Dual channel pc3200 ddr 400 ram,the ram is only running at 100mhz,and it's ddr 400,kinda slo going to boost her up to a Athlon XP 2600+ Barton Chip AXDA2600DKV4D,and 1 gig 2x512 Dual channel ocz pc3200 ddr 400.do you think it will make a difference at all? It's going to run at least 333mhz,instead of 100mhz..Question I have,Do I set the ram to run at SPD witch is 400mhz,or auto witch will be 333mhz.Whats the best way to set this 2600+ XP,with 400 DDR?? to run at it's best.Thankyou for any help on this.

I would leave the RAM set to run at 333MHz to match the CPU's FSB. Running it out of synch was a bigger deal back then than it is now. It could cause a variety of latency issues.

If you really wanted to, you could run a benchmark in both configurations to see which one really has the edge. Just make sure you run a reliable benchmark that is more real-world worthy than synthetic. 3DMark06 is a popular one, but you might also want to look at SiSoft Sandra Lite (realize that some benchmarks in this suite are synthetic).

~cdogg
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Einstein
[tab][navy]For posting policies, click [/navy]here.

Looks like an Epox motherboard (not Gigabyte)
Run on Auto so memory reads 166 (333) this will mean the CPU is syncronous with the ram, besides....running at
200 (400) may actually overclock the processor (depending on bios setup.
You will need a different cooler, AMD recommended a copper bottomed cooler because of the smaller footprint of the Barton core and they do run hot.
Something like this.(see link) not too expensive and should keep the temps below 50C.

MARTIN

On wings like angels whispers sweet
my heart it feels a broken beat
Touched soul and hurt lay wounded deep
Brown eyes are lost afar and sleep

Paparazi,where can I get a decent Cooler like the one you show in the link?? Are the ones on newegg ok? anywhere else?

That one looks good,what about this one? MASSCOOL 5F394B1L3G
Thats on newegg also,if it ever comes back in stock again?What do ya think,For an Athlon XP 2600+ Barton socket A CPU.

All those recommended are easily capable of handling this CPU although in my opinion the Rosewell looks best because the bigger fan is probably quieter.
Note* when fitting.....make sure the cut out in the base of the heatsink is fitted so it locates over the cam side of the CPU socket.
Martin

On the minus side; these coolers are quite small and the 60 X 10mm fan is a little on the noisey side. Fine fin design coolers also have a tendancey to block up fairly easily.
On the plus side; this is all copper so(superior for conducting but not as good for radiating) and the finer more numerous fins give a greater fin area (larger area to radiate the heat).
Should by OK for the XP2600+ make sure you blow out the dust bunnies regularly (twice a year) Take note* of heatsink orientation when fitting.
If you need an alternative then;
Martin

I'm very interested on how well that little copper hsf performs.

My criteria for a replacement hsf has always been to perform at least as well as stock, make less noise, and have a base that doesn't crash into motherboard components. I remember when about 1 in 3 of the hsf's offered for sale would fail that criteria; some would not meet any of the 3 requirements.

Note:
That Thermaltake TR2 Martin and I linked to works very well and is still pretty easy to find.

Skip

Will post back when I get it all hooked up,still waiting for 1 thing,but I will post back with temps on this Athlon XP 2600+ Barton Chip Socket A 462,with this Hsf soon as I know.

Hi; Well the Athlon XP 2600+ Barton chip,run's at 35c/95F and system temp is 27c/80F Totally Awesome! That's how I rate that Little Copper Heat sink and Fan.And it's quieter that the original one I hard.I'm very happy with this little copper baby,and a little arctic silver 5.

ISTR I had an identical setup - Athlon XP 2600+ Barton and EPox 8RDA3+.

11.5 × 166MHz springs to mind, with 166MHz having to be set manually for some reason. Sorry - it's in the dim and distant past.

But I do recall temperatures in the high 40°s - that's a powerful cooler.

Liverpool: Capital of Culture 2008
Anfield: Capital of Football since 1892
Iechyd da! John
Glannau Mersi, Lloegr.

I agree it's in the past,but for this setup this little cooler I mention above,at new egg all copper HSF.Is a awesome cooler for the price,and quite to,and a little arctic 5.Just if anyone was looking for a nice cooler for this chip.This is what I used.Thankyou.

I'm impressed enough to order one and see for myself. The hsf on my 2800+ requires removal of the psu to get a good shot at the retention clip; something I've wanted to correct for years.

Skip

I here ya,This guy is small but I'm impressed with my 2600+ Barton chip temps.I used arctic silver 5 on the chip,removed the stuff that was on heat sink,the stuff it came with.removed it with a little rubbing alcohol.Arctic silver 5 Awesome stuff,swear by it.

Yours has a max operating temp of 85°C, so yeah you're definitely in great shape. Usually the CPUs that have high temp problems are the ones towards the end of the lifecycle. This Barton 2600+ (1917 MHz) was one of the first of its kind, and usually ran quite a bit cooler than other faster models such as the 3000+ and 3200+.

~cdogg
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Einstein
[tab][navy]For posting policies, click [/navy]here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back