Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Athlon XP 2600+ (333FSB) or P4 2.4ghz (533FSB)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pyramus

Programmer
Dec 19, 2001
GB
Which would you choose? Which would perform better for games?

In this comparison, I would choose the P4 2.4Ghz (533MHz FSB) assuming that price is not a factor. Here's a complete rundown of different benchmarks that show why:

Keep in mind that the difference is so small, you probably wouldn't notice it. Nevertheless, the P4 is the overall better performer when it comes to games.

~cdogg

"The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."
- A. Einstein

Can't let you get away with that one cdogg, in this review the AMD platform was the aging Via KT333 against Intels expensive Rambus equipt 850, things have changed quite a bit with the introduction of Nvidia's Nforce2 , I accept that SIS 655 and Intels Granite Bay have just surpassed the older 850 but the Nforce2 line of Socket "A" boards has redressed the ballance in the AMD's favour (nforce2 is between 10-15% quicker than the Via KT333) increased memory bandwidth, dual memory have given the XP more legs.
So 2.4 P4 533 versa's XP2.6+ 333, AMD JUST has it by a whisker unclocked.
I suspect however the P4 would pass the XP when clocked by vertue of better overclocking ability.
Martin

Replying helps further our knowledge, without comment leaves us wondering.

Aye paparazi, you caught me there! My information was a bit outdated I'll admit. The Nforce2 chipset does do AMD more justice! However, the 7502 chipset and updated 850E from Intel counters that advancement.

Check the latest benchmarks here:

You'll see that the P4 2.4/533 still has the edge.

~cdogg

"The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."
- A. Einstein

Hold up! Toms CPU is an OLDER 2600+ with a 266Mhz FSB!!! In reality, the new 2600+ with 333Mhz is AS FAST as 2700+ with 333. So look at 2700+, not at 2600+. The difference between 2600+ (stepping 1 with 333Mhz) and P2.4 is obvious. 2.4 is slower when compared to 2600+, and 2600+ is as fast as 2.66 Pentium (Hence the 2600+ "performance equivalent") Did you see, that the difference between 2.4 and 2700 (or 2600+ with 333) is 5 fps??! Is that worth extra 80 bucks for RAMBUS, more expensive CPU? No! Rather invest in a better VGA card! Look at 3dmark. WHERE does the 2700+ stand, hmm?? Next to P4 2.8? Why yes! In UT it outspeeds p4 2.8. How's that! How much does 2.8 cost? 250 dollars. 2600+? 170 dollars. The choice is obvious. Buy the 2600+ ONLY if its a 333Mhz model (The SiSoft Sandra 2003 CPU benchmark difference between 2700+ and 2600+ (both 333 Mhz) is 50 marks!!!! (7830 and 7884 respectevly)

I chose AMD cuz i was troubled with the exact same question 2 weeks ago. AMD overwhelmed Intel in all aspects: price, perfoamnce, awesome chipset. AND if you overclock the 2600+ (not that you have to) system bus of 190, you'll get a monster of a cpu. But you also'll need a fast VGA card to process the cascade of information.

AMD - 1
Intel - -999999999999999999999999.9

The extra bandwidth of the Barton core seems to sway it but it's obviuos with the advances in both platforms that it is a close call, so close in fact that the decission has to go down to price, total platform.
Martin

I've always favored AMD, but when we compare them to intel, dang it, let's be a little realistic here. Sure you saw AMD with higher frame rates in UT, good for them. But did you care to mention the Quake benchmarks? AMD's Barton 3000+ can't even compare to the P4 2.5GHz! How about the mp3 encoding? Our good ol' 3000+ is about on par with a P4 2.2, that's certainly not "equivalent performance"... What's those prices again? P4 2.2GHz is $140, Barton 3000+ is $318!

I run an XP 2000+ and love it, but let's face it, the Athlon is just an old platform desparetly needing replacement.

Absolutely right dakota81, the XP is pretty much at it's design limits and showing it's age, but that wasn't the original question, everything you have said is correct but pyramus isn't asking about the crap XP3.0+
(crap isn't the correct term, uncompetitive and over priced) might be a better desciption but the same cannot be said for the lower end Barton's because by the vertue of there decent price and performance do offer Intel a credible fight on pricepoint/performance, AMD just completely loose it at the higher end.
Martin

I've decided to go for the Athlon- mainly going on benchmarks for games as thats primarily why I need a fast processor. The benchamrks are quite a bit better for virtually all games on the athlon.

I don't know about the whole price vs performance thing.. you can't just go by retail pricing. Many sites offer setups either partially built (barebones) or fully built gaming rigs with a huge discount off of retail price.

For example, I picked up a liquid cooled case, p4 3.06, soyo dragon UP p4x400 mb, 512MB corsair ddr3200 (400MB bus), a radeon 9700 pro, and a maxtor 40GB 7200 rpm ata133 hdd shipped to my door for 900$. Would this setup blow away an xp2700+? very likely, and I got it cheaper than a retail xp2700+ system would have been.

And by that same token there will be some other site giving an XP rig the same sort of huge discounts as yours.
Guess we have already said the 3.06 P4 is the dogs crown jewels, but anyway back to this 2.4P4 versas the XP2.6 333.
Martin

Yes, the battle of th' titans. Obviously, Intel owes it all to good marketing. Its success, i mean. I don't recall AMD commercials at all. But heck, i've started off with intel (486), then AMD (K6), then Intel PIII (CuMine), and now - the thoroughbred Stepping 1. After the 486, my choice between AMD and Intel was influenced by a) chipset features, and b) price vs performance. Needless to saym PIII CuMine (on either the overclocked 440BX, or the i815e) is THE best CPU ever created up to date. Well, when it came to choosing an upgrade (2 weeks ago) the scales tipped to AMD side. Once again, PERSONAL preferences (im not saying, that AMD is the best) made AMD prevail, so i went for it. Actually, i was to buy intel, but the A7N8X's box got me. I just fell in love with the deluxe: it had everything at a reasonable price. So i went for it, and now am satisfied. Though there are some q's about memory, but o well. Its still great.

And i just have one thing to say: Whether AMD (or Intel) is better, than its competitor - is entirely up to you. These redicolous comments like "AMD is the BEST", or "Intel is the SUPERIOR" are really, senseless. I got AMD cuz it had the feats i was looking for. I was looking for something elese, i'd have chosen Intel.

Good arguments both ways. Lets talk about another thing: heat. Gamers and people wanting performance using AMD chips usually have to buy a different HSF (heat sink + fan) than the one that comes with the chip. The reason: AMD chips run HOT! I've had 3 relatives tell me thier AMD chips burned up on them with the default HSF(although two of the cases were in summer time). Pentium 4's run cool with the supplied HSF. So any price performance argument isn't really valid here, as you have to pay more money to get the same cooling performance on an AMD chip. Also the AMD naming convention 2400+, 2600+, etc. is NOT that accurate. One thing AMD does have going for them is great gaming performance even on some of their lower clocked chips, altough a P4 2.4ghz cpu would be plenty for anything you want to do.

Right now on newegg.com you can get a Athlon XP 2600+ (2Ghz) for $157. I'd get at least a $40 HSF for it making the total cost around $200. You can get a P4 2.4Ghz for $161. I think the Price/Performance is now in Intels favor. It used to be in AMDs favor big time, but not anymore.

Odd. I run my stock cooler at 45 degrees on 2600+ (333). And im a gamer.

Toms hardware recently carried out a review on retail coolers that come with AMD XP processors and found them generally to be more than adequate for an unclocked CPU, admitadly not up there with the swiftechs and thermalrights of this world but with decent performance all the same.
In my experience the most commonly overlooked issue when people build a new system is adequate case cooling, people often build the system with the intention of adding extra case fans at a later date but never get around to it, I cannot stress enough how important it is to add this extra cooling as part of a high end system build straight away, these extra fans have far more impact on lowering temperatures than any trick $40 cooler and can be purchased for under $4 a piece.
Higher throughput of air in the case = lower air temperature supply for the CPU fan and this directly equates to lower processor temperatures
The differance in CPU temps between a setup with and without case cooling can be as much as 15C.
Martin

I agree with paparazi. Case cooling is important. Another interesting thing: yesterday, i had to run my pc with the side door open. Temperature of CPU increased by 5 degrees, and mobo by 6!. Put the lid back on - i dropped to qhere it usually is. Interesting. Marvel of a good case engineering. Also, when the lid is closed, air pressure builds up in the case. The warm air "wants" to get out thru the exhaust fans, while the cool air comes in with "excitement".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back