Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Athlon XP 1800+ Temp Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neo81

Technical User
Aug 16, 2001
AU
Hey Guys

I just built me a 1800+, Geforce 4 64ddr mx 440, 60 gig 7200 hdd, 32x burner ....... After a hard slog the cpu temp is about 47 degrees c, is this accectable? I have 7 fans all up in the machine, the cpu fan (non standard) chipset fan, video card fan, power supply, 2 rear case fans exhausting and one front case fan sucking in .... more comming soon when I start modding the case but is that a allright temp..... at idle it sits about 40-43 i think ..... this is my first AMD machine i have built so i don't know what is allright

Later
NEo81 >:):O>

Yes, this is accetable... My 1900+ is running 62oC ok... I know I need to cool it down asap but I dont have the cash to buy fans... it all went on my GF4
Cool down man, you are at a very good temperature. Athlon XP 1900+
MoBo Soyo Dragon Plus!
512MB 266Mhz DDR RAM
GeForce4 MX420
Samsung 60Gb 7200RPM HDD

Your temperature is VERY GOOD! indeed.
I have a similar rig (XP1800+ GF4 4200Ti etc) also with various extra fans and my max is 51C on a warm day (UK)
The fact that your idle and max temps are so close together : 40-43C idle and 47C max, is a clear indication of a well sorted cooling solution.
often low air turnover and inadequate heatsink/fan can result in much higher temps overall and more of a differance between the two temps.
The temps Mack the knife is getting are typical of a newley built system without any additional cooling and it worries me to think what his temps would rise to on a warm day playing medal of honour for an hour (could well be into the mid 70's) this isn't going to damage his CPU but will certainly make his system more than a little flakey. Martin
Please let members know if there advice has helped any.

Mack is your system pre-made or did u build it yourself? Its only a small matter abuot ur cpu temp atm... any higher any i would worry more but If you plan on sorting out your temperatures get some good quality fans with high CFM value. Arctic Silver THermal paste is ace too. CitrixEngineer did a really good FAQ on this

faq602-2213

Stretchy [Pipe]

Hi Mark

I'm running an AMD 1800xp here and it's averaging around 49 degrees C,which is well below acceptable standards. These chips are rated up to 90C!!! and will run quite stable at even 70c.
I have a microfin copper heatsink with a 7000rpm fan and it's great- a little noisy but very bearable. I WAS running a 9" fan at the side but it only gave me a 1 degree drop,which is not worth worrying about. Also have 400w PS w/- double fans one in/one out. Geforce3 runs perfectly...nothing is overclocked and all games run beautifully on a GA7zxr MB with 512Mb ram and WINME!!!

So...yes MArk your system temps are fine ...even excellent.

PAUL (Dorothy Dix)

The temps you are all getting makes me think my system temp. is very good.

I am running an Athlon XP 2000+ with two HD's, GeForce 3 Ti Card etc... and my CPU temp is between 50.5 and 52.5 and these are idle and playing Return to Castle Wolfenstein for hours online.

Also my CPU fan only runs at about 3500 RPM so it seems to be doing a good job. I have one fan at the front of the case and just the PSU fan at the back but the case has plenty of ventilation holes and the machine is clear all around for about a foot.

ok I have revamped my rig now it has 13 fans in it and one nice big noisy 120cm exhaust fan in the top of the rig .... I have also used a enermax 450watt duel fan powersupply and a 5v/12v fan bus to control my fans.... also added a copper shim, all this really didn't make to much difference to the temp it runs max a 54degrees with all the fans on low but once i pump them all up and put the ear muffs on it drops 10 degrees down to 44 stable .... you can view my pc at

its the one called "Weapon X"

Later
NEo81 >:):O>

Yes dude the temperature is good. I avarage around 50'C under load. But keep in mind that the 90'C limit that should never exceeded is refereing to the die surface temperature.

The temp sensor on your mobo's do not measure the actual surface, so it may be incaccurate.(I think)

hi i think u temp will be "cool" i am runnin only a 1600xp but when i first put it in it ran at 52 with my old athlon fan but if u wanna cool it down i really recomend the thermal take volcano 7 i placed one in and it dropped my temp from 52 to 27 at idle now thats cooling , i know it may be expensive but hey with a drop like that the life will be greatly increased but as the others have said the temp its at now should be fine although i found mine to be unstable at that temp causing the odd auto reboot when it used to much power but hey maybe just me..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back