Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ATHLON VS PENTIUM 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

killowhat

Technical User
Dec 11, 2002
US
athlon xp 2100
socket-a
266mhz
1.73ghz
$85.00

pentium4
socket423
400mhz
1.7ghz
$140.00

is it personal prefference or price. or mhz.

FWIW, I like them both, and use them both.

In this for what it's worth, yata yata discussion, there's a comment I must inject concerning all the supposed added cooling needed to employ an AMD chip.

My experience has been that NOT OVERCLOCKED...as in most of the systems I've got out there, the retail fan cooling and 2 case fans included in ALL the boxes (AMD OR Pentium) I've been building with have yielded about the same heat result from EITHER of the processors. Both run consistently (varying with ambient temp, of course) hi 30s to lo 40s at rest and hi 40s to lo 50s under seti@home or similar CPU intensive activity. In other words, there ain't a dime's worth of difference when running out of the box settings.
An AMD will overclock hotter and still run (albeit erratically if over the edge) while the Intel chip has internal architecture that's temperature sensitive to choke down the chip to save itself. But I've seen more than one person looking for extra cooling for Intel chips, too, and not just for overclocking.

plz include my smile

wow too much, too many stars, overheating ,need cooling. all excellent points, gargouille, cdogg, guess you know what my next thread will be, MOTHERBOARDS, oh yea you knew it. looks like gigabyte, msi, abit, or intel. havent decided on cpu yet. going to do more research. think im going to leave the 2 compaqs alone and start with picking a mobo combo kit. started looking on gigabytes site nice features on their boards. all of you have given me so much info think im going to throw away my old notebook and start over, too garbled , too much time spent on these compaqs. time to move on. although the 7588 does have a nice case and could be modifyed. hum maybe ill keep my notes and just start a new one. thanks ,pearl needs to go out/ again.

When it comes to rating boards and talking about their features, no one does it better than Tom's Hardware ( Just look under the Mainboard section on the homepage...

~cdogg

"The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."
- A. Einstein

i agree i like toms hardware. as along as this is a completely straight up site. you guys have given me a lot of great sites. pearl just ate my last gingerbread cookie got to go kick her butt. my favorites list is a mile long!

As a vendor who deals with the public and takes their money ..
I would have to say that the Athlon xp is better value for money..
The XP 1700 out performs the P4 1700 in nearly all benchmarks.
all a matter of personal choice.

thanks for your reply. i have used pentium so long about time for a change.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back