Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ata186 problem 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

tony2018

IS-IT--Management
Mar 19, 2008
US
Hi guys,

I have a savin fax machine hooked to a ata 186. I have a translation pattern and extension all set up just fine. My problem is that the fax machine spits out an error message 10-46 network error code. What can I do to remedy this? I know the ata is working fine, just might have to configure some parameters, because when I hit the "on hook/dial" button i get a dial tone. What else needs to be done to get these fax machines working properly with my system?

We have had many problems with the ATA and Fax Machines. It is to the point that our support engineers don't even support it anymore. I have hooked faxes up to ATA's and had no problems and others won't send more than 1-2 pages of multi page faxes. I was told it has something with the way the ATA's buffer the traffic but I don't know for sure. We only support faxes on FXS/VG2XX ports now.

We are on the same page as pndscm. We only recommend an ATA for an analog phones and that is all.
We will not install or support a fax/modem on an ATA because it is not consistent. I know for a fact ATA's will not work on G3 fax machines and that is also TAC documented.
Do your self a favor and get an FXO module or a vg224 if you have a need for more than a few faxes (vg224 will give 24 analog ports).

On serveral fax machines we have had to change the baud rate, 9600 seems to work on most (so far).

I agree with the others an FXS or a VG-224 works well.

[americanflag] SPC NVARNG
Tek-TIP Member 19,650

Indeed a baud rate of 9600 works most of the time. And if the fax machine does have error correction mode (ecm) put this off.
With these settings on the fax machine i had almost no problems with faxing

In several situations I am able to get FAX working using an ATA-186.

FAX and Modem traffic over IP needs special attention. In case of using an ATA-186 for FAX, you'll have to configure the ATA-186, VoiceGateway and FAX itself properly.

On the ATA-186, configure the AudioMode from 0x00350035 to 0x00150015.

On the VoiceGateway (H.323 config) use:

voice service voip
fax protocol pass-through g711ulaw
modem passthrough nse codec g711ulaw

and put this on the appropriate voip dial-peer(s).

On the FAX, switch-off/disable (Super) G3 mode and/or ECM (Error Correction Mode): this way the FAX falls back to 9600/14400 bps speeds which should work in most cases.

Ofcourse you could try to use a VG-224/248 or a FXS module instead, or wait for new VG models coming soon from Cisco.

Good luck,
Eric

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back