Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ATA - Won't Connect with Modem

Status
Not open for further replies.

shawntoronto

Technical User
Jun 14, 2002
CA
I have a 3x8 DR5 DS and an ATA (not ATA2) connected to one port. It works fine with voice, even using the computer modem to answer as a voice-modem.

When I attempt to connect for data, ie. internet, it disconnects just as the baudrate-negotiation process begins.

I know that the ATA2 is can provide faster data speeds but would have thought that the ATA(1) could at least connect at a low speed.

Any thoughts?

There are three versions of ata. The first one supported data rates of 9600 it can be identified by the power cord being wired in directly. The second ata is an eata (enhansed ata ) it supports data rates of 14.4. The ata2 supports data speeds to 28.8. I have heard of the first generation of ata connecting at faster than 28.8. The only thought I would have is your isp does not support so slow of a connection. You could try to send a fax (9600) through your computer to see if the modem and connection are ok. p.s. I am going by memory on the connection speeds so I could stand to be corrected.

I had similar problems with the old ATAs. (We have a mixture of old & new ones). What I found is if both modems are _able_ to connect at high speed, it doesn't seem to fall-back to a lower speed, it just fails to connect. If you force the calling modem or the answering modem to connect at a lower speed (9600 or lower), it should work. The method of forcing the baud rate will vary depending on what you're doing, but one way on a windows system is through the control panel/modem icon. There are also some settings internal to some modems that you can set to limit the link speed (For 3com/USRobotics modems, it's the &N command - type AT&$ for a full list.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back