Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ATA Drive with SCSI 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

JLHobby1

Technical User
Nov 12, 2005
Hello,
Can any one tell me if an ATA HArd Drive would work in a SCSI setup?? I am currently running ServeRAID 1 with 2 9.1 HDD, Win 2000 OS. Would I have to setup the ATA as a slave or master??? The drive I am wondering about is a Seagate 120 gb ATA. Any help would be great--- Thanks in advance.

jl

Sorry about my bad english.

The ata hard drive on netfinity work without problem.
I have Netfinity 5000, but i can not change pio mode 3 for DVD and ata harddrive to DMA mode in BIOS. You may have the same problem, and you vill have really slow data transfer.
Maximum data transfer from scsi to ata is 5.000kb/s, maximum between two scsi drives 18Gb is 39.000kb/s

It is possible. You will need to change your boot order so that it boots from harddisk1 and not harddisk0 other wise it will try to boot from the ATA drive.

Ok---- So what will happen to the mirroring process, would I have to have two 120 HDD or could I set two partions on the single drive and mirror that way. And then I would just set the spare drive to slave.

jl

What mirroring? The SCSI and ATA are totally seperate and can not be combined.

You would have a single ATA drive that you can use for storage or what ever you wanted to use it for and you would have your raid1 with the scsi drives that you already have.

OK I didn't realize that they would be indepentant like that. Thanks alot for the tips and help ibmtech65 and nebivedu!!!!!

jl

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back