Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ATA 100 HD and Clean Installs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Muncher

Programmer
Sep 4, 2001
US
G'day

I tried to install Windows 2000 Pro the other day on a blank ATA 100 HD. The format sequence started and I got to the point where is asked you if you want to install Win 2K press enter. So I did and then it said that it can't find any HD's on the computer.

Now I know that Win 2K doesn't support ATA 100 HD (which I fine amazing), so what I would like to know is there any ways around this. Do I have install another OS first (Don't really want to)?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Win2K pro does not nativly support the transfer speeds of ATA100 without registry hacking and Patches. BUT...
you should be able to install fine without the fast speeds. The problems is from some other source. a few questions.
1) What hard drive?
2) does the BIOS see the drive?
3) Is the ATA100 controller a card or built into the main board?

These answers can help James Collins
Computer Hardware Engineer
A+, MCP

email: butchrecon@skyenet.net

Thanks Butchrecon,

What I did was download the Promise ATA 100 drives onto a floppy and then when booting of the Win2K CD, I press F6 to add SCSI device. It then asked for a floppy and then proceeded to load the drivers. End result is one recognised ATA 100 HD.

:)

Glad to hear you got it on your own. :) James Collins
Computer Hardware Engineer
A+, MCP

email: butchrecon@skyenet.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back