Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

At start-up the screen goes black, except for mouse cursor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bonez

Technical User
Oct 2, 2002
US
When booting up, I see the win98 splash screen, but after logging on the entire screen goes black except for the cursor. Where is my desktop (Win98 browser)? The mouse still moves, and ctl+alt+del only shows two of my programs. Any solutions, or am I back to re-installing? Thanks!

Try to start up in safe mode and see if you can get to the desktop that way. If you can then it's likely that some drivers or startup programs are preventing the machine from booting properly. You can then try disabling the startups and add them back 1 at a time to see whats causing the problem. Also a virus/trojan scan is a good idea. If you get into the safe mode, also check the registry and do a system file check.

I tried to start-up in safe mode, but I get the same problem.Have I lost all of my info? Do I need to re-install?

Depending on what data you have on your system that you need to keep (i.e data or applications), you can with 95 and 98 do a system overwrite. This basically entails re-installing Windows but not formatting. This will then enable you to keep all your program files and data and restore Windows. Be careful to back up any data file first as this process has been known to go wrong.

Thanks. I will try an overwrite. Would you please give a step-by-step of the process. I really appreciate your assistance.

You dont say if you have upgraded anything recently, if you have look at the upgrade especcially ram modules.
I have seen this problem a couple of times, on both ocassions it turned out to be a Ram related memory fault. Look inside your Pc and make sure that your ram memory blocks are connected fully.

It may not be the problem but its worth a look.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back