Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

AT power supply question

Status
Not open for further replies.

beyondsociety

Technical User
May 9, 2002
US
I have a old AT power supply that is giving me some headache. It has two connectors on the back of it. One is of the power supply cord that gets connected to the wall socket and then other I have no clue what it is?

Does anybody know what this connection does?

The other one was to connect the monitor power cord so that they both powered down (or up) when you shut down the PC. "A little knowledge is a dangerous thing....." [morning]

Original PC came with monitors with a power cord that plugged in there. Some AT compatible supplies had the external supply switchable, some didn't. In the case of those that were switchable , you could use it for anything else that needed under 200 watt of switchable power.
I use them for external modems , for powered speakers, or for external drives or tapes.
You can get an adapter cord that converts to 3 wire "u" ground for ease of application.
Unisg them for VGA displays, which take higher power, leads to premature switch failure. Ed Fair
unixstuff@juno.com
Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply. Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

I have been having problems with my old AT computer. It boots up fine but for some reason I can't get the video to work on the monitor. I swaped the card into another machine and it worked fine, but it was a ATX machine. The monitor is plugged into the wall socket.

Should I hook up the monitor to the AT power supply to see if that might be my problem. I have the connector to connect the monitor to the power supply, but I haven't used it yet. Any suggestions?

The power socket on the computer does nothing other than provide 115 Volts AC to whatever is plugged into it and is controlled by the on/off switch.

AT or ATX computer doesn't matter as the card should work in either.

Try putting the monitor on another computer, the problem may be with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back