Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

AT Modem Commands

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carlitos71

IS-IT--Management
Jan 12, 2004
US
I am looking to see if there is a modem command that will disconnect after a period of inactivity.

The modem connection is through a Wyse 60 dumb terminal through a US Robotics Sportster modem. The connection to our remote customer is made modem to modem. The outgoing call is made from either a SCO OpenServer 5.0.7 or NCR Unix server and goes to either a SCO Openserver server or NCR Unix server.

What I am looking for is a script or at command that will disconnect after a period of inactivity.

Thanks.

This is "modem dependent", so you'll need to review documentation on your specific modem.

The old "Hayes Compatible" command for inactivity timer is set in one of the "S" registers:

ATS30=1 Disconnect after 1 second of inactivity.
ATS30=0 This disables the auto disconnect.
ATS30=60 Disconnect after 1 minute of inactivity.

There are also references to AT\T as a method to set the inactivity timer.

"Proof that there is intelligent life in Oregon. Well, Life anyway.

Moto,
here is what I know (and it ain't much)... when they connect they do a
#at (sometimes an at&n6 or at&n7)
#atdt1xxxxxxxxx
and that dials and connects to the remote server. Whether or not it is Hayes Compatible I do not know.

If so, then how could they incorporate the ATS command into the above string?

Thanks.

Any time before the ATDT.

Perhaps:
AT&N6
ATS30=30
ATDT1xxxxxxxxxx

"Proof that there is intelligent life in Oregon. Well, Life anyway.

From memory, the &n is a speed limiter.
How about idleout? Again from memory, it goes in the user profile and worked well at 4.2. Not certain about later.
The ats30=60 puts it in volatile, then at&w would write it permanent. ATI4 may be the display of everything. You could look at the registers before, write the timeout, then look at the registers later.
Modem commands on the W60 forces you to work in the blind unless 1 line is cut between them. Can't remember which one.

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

The ATS command seems to be working well. Had the users set it as a function key when dialing out. So, I think that has solved the issue. Thanks for all of the help.

Carl.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back