Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

At home VPN phone not working - any other troubleshooting tips I haven't tried?

Status
Not open for further replies.

OCsurfer

Systems Engineer
Sep 6, 2018
US
I know there could be many variables but I ran out of ideas for this remote 9620.

At the office Cleared the phone and programmed the group in the VPN settings. Confirmed the VPN user is correct. The user at home is reporting the phone is booting up straight to an extension prompt. I checked CM and the station form looks correct. There are no other reports of VPN users with the same issue.

What else can I be looking for in this situation?

CM 6.3

Toss the 9620. I'm not even kidding. What firmware version are you running? You will either need to upgrade the firmware or change the user's home network. Example: if your phone system is on the 10.x.x.x network then your home user can't use the 10.x.x.x on their home router either. You would need to change the phone to use 192.168.x.x. You can call it a lovely "feature" from Avaya.

I would recommend that you get a DSL line in the office so you can check to make sure the phone work on VPN before you send the home.
If the phone is booting up to the ext prompts then you have not enable VPN. Avayaguy23 is correct, the VPN phones need to be on a 192,168,x.x address, and comcast like to force user to the 10.x.x.x range and you will have issue with the Avaya VPN phone. I use to have 300+ of the 9620L and other deployed as VPN phones. You have to check the Firmware you are using as well as have the correct setting in the 46xxsetting.txt file.

Another thing to keep in mind is, they are a pain to have the user update there network password on, unless they are tech savvy.

There are good point and bad points to using the VPN phones, over just using a softphone, it all depends on what you are trying to do with them the PC available, etc.

Good Luck

Thank you. I will check firmware and 192.168.x.x address and firmware. If anything I'll toss the 9620 lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back