Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

AT&T PRI provisioning with Magix 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

McGluke

MIS
May 18, 2010
US
I have been told that AT&T no longer supports whatever provisioning standard the Merlin Magix expects for a PRI. The result I am told is a nightmare turn up that can go on for days while the PBX tech and AT&T work out the config. In the mean time it will be impossible to call some area code.

Does this sound real or exagerated? How can AT&T PRI turn up issues be avoided?

They should be able to provision it for AT&T Custom 5ESS or what is sometimes called NI1. That works with the Magix.

Custom 5ESS is NOT the same as NI1, if you provision the circuit as NI1 you will have issues, If you are being served out of a Nortel DMS series CO switch the protocol required is U459 with the L1 flag set to Yes, which is the Nortel equivalent of 5ESS Custom.
There is a difference in the D-channel Maintenance messaging that will drive the Legend/Magix nuts.

It is exaggerated and wrong. If you have any problem requesting AT&T-Custom protocol for Primary ISDN, escalate to a supervisor. All their switches have the protocol!

....JIM....

I also have been told by an AT&T tier 4 engineer the U459 protocol can't be implemented on the latest versions of the Nortel switches. But I have some switches that work without it, if you believe what AT&T tells me. But it must be custom not NI2.
I have a feeling this problem may esculate.

45 years in the business and counting.

I have turned up many PRI's on the Magix and have really good luck with them. In general I ask these questions of the Carrier and tend to have good turn up results.

"What switch type are you using?" (give them the options of 5ESS or DMS). If they say it would be (or be like) 5ESS then tell them you need their protocol setting to be Custom or AT&T Custom, if they say DMS something (or DMS like type of switch) tell them you need the protocol set to NI1, and they may indeed need to set the L1 flag field to Yes. NI1 will work with the Magix, NI2 will not. Be sure to emphasis to them that you cannot have their protocol set to NI2 - then during the cut if the D Channel doesn't come up, push the subject of the protocol, they will likely have set it to NI2 even though you advised them against it. Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back