Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

AT&T Merlin classic reliability? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frankch95

IS-IT--Management
Aug 25, 2013
US
Hello all, I would like to know how long do you guys think a Merlin classic can last with proper care and management, and whats the longest you guys have ever seen a Merlin classic run for, and why and how are these systems so reliable?

First off, I don't service these anymore, so I really don't know how long some have been around.

But, back when this was THE PRODUCT I was a Tier-3 Engineer on, I realized that they work for a long time 'cause they are SIMPLE, and the sets (THE PARTS THE CUSTOMER CAN BREAK) are built very well.

By being built well, I am talking about the MEMBRANE SETS, they came from the factory as almost totally SPILL PROOF, and had NO BUTTONS to stick or get dirty or???

But, the membrane can also wear out, it is after all, just a flexible Printed Circuit Board, and plastic can break.

Any one else have any insights?

-merlinmansblog.blogspot.com

Hi Merlinman sorry for the delayed response, but anyway how about the control units like the 206 or 410 for example are they still reliable in their old age? Also what is the first component to most likely die first?

Are they still used in any small businesses today or have most of them upgraded? By they I mean Merlin classics to be specific.

They were back in the day, to AT&T, THE SYSTEM..! You'll see a few here and there, but many went away with the onset of localized voicemail .. These didn't have the ability to support local vmail systems typically. Yeah, one was made for them, but I saw 1 of them for every hundred classic systems I saw..
Still, they are solid, but they are so old now, I wouldn't trust the power supplies in them., they just gotta be Tired!

As Cheap as they may be, the same phones will work on it's bigger brother the Legend... Those processors & cards have been around a long time to, but many are available, they refurb them, and you'll get a much more robust feature set.

Step up a Decade or so!!

MrTelecom1
Re-Living the AT&T/Lucent/Avaya issues since 1979!

Hello, I have a Legend with a R7 processor up and running right now with some MLX phones as well, I just simply wanted to know a little more about the Merlin classic history and what there current status is, I do realize that they are very out dated compered to the newest digital and Unified communications systems.

Merlin systems are dated in that they do not support SIP. The Legend & Magix do support PRI/ISDN, but in a very limited manner. The power supply on the "bread box" units (206, 410 & 820) was a weak spot. The older Merlin units do not support caller ID. Avaya retired the Merlin platform in 2006. The IP Office is the system that is the replacement for the Partner ACS and the Merlin Magix.

I [love2] "FEATURE 00"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back