Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

At a crossroads!

Status
Not open for further replies.

scmasse

Technical User
Mar 9, 2005
US
Well, it's been a long ride but it's time for a change. I am getting ready to get out of the Air Force, where I was pretty much a Jack-of-All IT guy. I did Maintenance on Computers, Cryptographic equipment, networks and even some switching. Learned how to troubleshoot just about everything. I also earned an AAS in Electronic Systems Technology and an AA in Computer Studies while I have been in.

My question is what should I do now! I have 10 years experience in all this and a current TS/SCI Security Clearance. Would I be able to make a decent living on the outside or should I take my G.I. Bill and go to school. I'd probably pursue a BS in Computer Engineering Technology.

Only problem is if I choose the school route my clearance will go inactive.

Both roads are equally appealing at the moment but maybe I am not looking at the full picture:)

Shawn

Experience counts more than qualifications

There are very few jobs which say "must have first/2:1"
They nearly all have "must have x years experience"

I wouldn't go to college/uni if I had my time again

I would say don't waste that GI Bill, I did and I regret it every day. True, experience means more but your company knowing you are making an effort to learn more could mean you getting a promotion over a person who does not make that effort. Just speaking from experience. Now I'm going back to school but my GI bill has already ran out.

First off, let me say thank you for your time in the service. This is one American who values the men and women who make it so easy for me to fall asleep at night.

Now to your question.

It's a stretch, but you could get a job AND pursue college (night courses). That way you get the best -- and worst -- of both worlds.

Sounds like the kind of situation that calls for drawing a line down a sheet of paper and listing out the pros and cons of each...

Thanks again, and best of luck, Shawn!

< M!ke >

I agree with that to waste the GI Bill would be a terrible mistake. I would not have been able to complete my undergraduate degree nor attend graduate school without it. I would either go to school full-time and work part-time, or work full-time and attend school part-time, but in either event, the schooling will serve you well in the long run.

Good Luck
--------------
To get the most from your Tek-Tips experience, please read FAQ181-2886
As a circle of light increases so does the circumference of darkness around it. - Albert Einstein

Speaking as one who used the GI Bill after my time in the military, I will second LNBruno's and CajunCenturion's advice.

I would further say that the thing I realized after getting out of the military is that civilian employers and college professors only think they know how to work someone hard. If you're used to the military's definition of hard work, both working and going to college should not be a problem for you.

Want the best answers? Ask the best questions!

TANSTAAFL!!

As someone depending solely on my experience in my job, I've found that not having a formal education and relying on pure experience is the long road. It's taken me almost 20 years to get to the point that my more educated peers reached after only 10 years. It's the road less traveled, but that's just because it's been poorly maintained.

All I need is that little piece of paper that says that I really do know what I claim to know, and I can then look forward to being paid what I feel that I'm worth.

Education has become a stumbling block for me, and I regret my past decisions more and more.

I agree with most of the above posts. You honestly can only get so far without an actual degree. Even though there are a few IT folks who don't have a degree and have been promoted fairly far, they are the exception, not the norm. Look at most job postings, education and experience go hand and hand.

I started college with a vengeance about 2 years ago. I got blessed with a job that had a lot of free time and I took advantage of it. Knocked out an AAS (CCAF...given in my specialty) and my AA in Computer Studies. The thing is, I really enjoy it, and can't stop taking at least one class a semester. I don't think, even if I get a job straight out, that I would stop taking classes.

My ultimate goal all along has been a Bachelors. My wife also pushes me, she's working on her Master's in education and will have it before I get out, and would be very willing to support me if I decided to go to school full-time.

On the other hand, all the civilian contractors I talk to over here (Osan Korea) tell me that my clearance is gold, and with my experience and an associate's degree that shows I am able to learn, that I would be hired very quickly.

LOL, I hate life altering decisions!
Thanks to all of you for your inputs...I am absorbing them all:)

Shawn

Use that GI bill and get a four year degree. You will make more money in the longer term and have more opportunities for employment.

I would say go for a bachelors, but don't hesitate to apply for jobs.
You're getting free money from uncle sam that is just going to waste if you don't use it.
Enroll in classes, and throw your resume around. Maybe you can get your employer to pay for your classes and pocket your GI bill (i know a guy who is doing this)

I always say, when faced with a decision between 2 good ideas, do both.

==> You're getting free money from uncle sam
Hardly free money. That money was earned over the last several years of service to Uncle Sam.

Good Luck
--------------
To get the most from your Tek-Tips experience, please read FAQ181-2886
As a circle of light increases so does the circumference of darkness around it. - Albert Einstein

Welcome to my world!

I got chills reading your post. As a Computer Operator, I worked on many the same things that you did- Crypto devices, switches, UNIX, WindowsNT... A little bit of everything.

I also got my associates from the CCAS while in. Something that you may be disapointed in hearing is that you'll have a bear of a time transferring credits to "real" universities. Only 12 of my credits transferred.

When I got out, I was accepted at a private university but ended up deciding not to go. I thought that my cutting edge skills would be outdated if I spent a few more years in school. I ended up accepting a consulting position and doing really well for myself.

I'm now working at one of places where I consulted as a senior OS analyst. I'm also now married, to a woman who finished her Masters in Education two years ago. Although many workcenters value skill over certifications or 4-year degrees, many more still require a degree to get into a real management position. I am going back to school part time and let me tell you, it is tough. Since I'm an "adult", I wanted to get a degree from a University that is respected in the area and it is costing quite a bit. Luckily I can still use some of my GI Bill (until 2008), but I fear that it'll take longer than that to finish. Also, at over $500 a credit, it isn't cheap.

If I could do it over again, I'd go straight to college and try to get a high IT position there to keep my skills updated.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do. If you have the right attitude and the drive, you can really make yourself a success.

Thanks for your time in the service. I myself was honarably discharged (US Navy) back in 1997 but decided to go Microsoft all the way. Since then, after 8 years of IT work - I am now converting to Cisco work. I think certifications do could, but I wouldn't spend that G.I. Bill on it. Go for MBA!

Good luck!

Thanks again for the responses!

Here is my plan so far: I am in Korea right now and so is my wife, who is an educator. The job prospects look very good and with my clearance I will be able to get a nice position over here. I plan to continue taking classes until I get to within 1 year of my BS degree (Taking into account transfer credits, etc...).

I will then move back to the states (we should have a good amount of $$ saved) and finish my BS. I then plan to enter Graduate school immediately for either an MBA with an IT emphasis or an MS in Technology Management or something similar.

That should effectively use up all of my GI Bill, and I'll have my Master's before I turn 40 (recent personal goal).

I had never condidered going to graduate school, it always seemed so far fetched, but recently it's been looking like a very appealing option.

Comments or advice welcome!
Shawn

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back