Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

AT! 128 XPERT screen shift

Status
Not open for further replies.

zydecomon

MIS
Apr 12, 2002
US
I am having a problem with my vid card. During boot up and in a DOS environment, the screen shifts half way to the right and positions the right side of the screen on the left side of the monitor. I am running ME on an AMD K6 II/450mhz / DFI MB / 256 mg / HP D3858A Monitor. I have uninstalled/reinstalled the drivers, updated all patches available (vid/MB/monitor), unseeded/reseeded the card, changed refresh rates and resolutions according to specs. Still, the screen shifts in DOS environments. Can anyone help me?

Different resolutions/colours often need the monitor alignment to be adjusted. If you have a digital monitor, ie; one that the screen alignment is controlled electronicaly - it will remember the settings for each mode so you will only have to set it once for each one.
If it is the old analogue type monitor with control knobs then you will have to set the screen allignment each time the mode changes.
To set the DOS screen sizes during boot or during a game, you can press the pause/break key on the offending screen, set up the monitor then press any key to continue. The other way of course is to Boot to the Dos command prompt and set it up from there.

Hope this helps - if not - sorry
Regards from Mike

I do have an analog monitor. I've had several people tell me to simply adjust the monitor positioning. Even scrolling the horizontal knob all the way to the left (counterclockwise) still leaves the screen about 3 inches to the right. I tried your idea w/ pause/break key, but no luck. How do I adjust at the DOS prompt? BTW, I have been able to adjust the resolution set on one particular game from 680x480 to 800x600 and that corrected the horizontal shift, but it shrunk the overall vertical size. That's the least of my worries because the game is playable this way. I am wondering if this whole horizontal shifting in DOS has to do with the 680x480 resolution. Again, how can I adjust the DOS environment resolution?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back