Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Asynchronous Processing in New Window

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaycast

Programmer
Nov 28, 2001
US
The application I am developing requires a "filter" aspx page that will open a new "report" aspx page in a new browser window based on the filter criteria.

The target report can take anywhere from 2-5 minutes to completely render, due to the massive datastore being accessed.

Ideally, the user would select the desired filter criteria, generate the new report, then go back to the filter screen and select new criteria to generate a second report instance--all while the first report is still rendering.

The problem that I am running into is that once the first report has started to process/render, any controls on the filter page that invoke autopostback are rendered non-functional until the first report has completed processing--until the window.open call has delivered a response to the source. Then I gain full functionality of my filter form once again.

My goal is to have the new window that is processing my report completely detached process-wise from the filter page so that the user can have multiple report pages processing simultaneously, all while being able to freely generate new reports from the filter screen.

I was thinking AJAX might be a good way to handle the process, however I have not read much on it and I don't see a way to have the XMLHTTPRequest object open in a new window.

Any ideas on how to facilitate this goal would be extremely helpful!

Thanks

>>My goal is to have the new window that is processing my report completely detached process-wise from the filter page so that the user can have multiple report pages processing simultaneously, all while being able to freely generate new reports from the filter screen.

why not open multiple popup windows??? in that case you need not even use ascychronous code...

Known is handfull, Unknown is worldfull

Can you ellaborate on what you mean by "multiple popup windows"? Ideally, I'd like for there to be multiple popup windows--one for each report generated. However, that doesn't get me past the hurdle of having my filter page locked up while the first report is processing.

I'd like the first report and all other subsequent reports completely detached process-wise from the filter page worker process.

>>Ideally, the user would select the desired filter criteria, generate the new report, then go back to the filter screen and select new criteria to generate a second report instance--all while the first report is still rendering.

how exactly are you achieveing this now? do you have one page for selecting the filter values, and another for actually executing them?

or does the execution ALSO happen in the same page as the filter selection page???

Known is handfull, Unknown is worldfull

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back