Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

AsusA7V133 seems incompatible 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

billheath

Technical User
Mar 17, 2000
US
I have a brand new Asus A7v133 board with an ATA100, Promise controller. It has the VIA KT133A chipset, a 750 Thunderbird, a 30GB Ultra100, western Digital drive and a HP 9700 Cd writer. There seems to be an incompatibilty between the HD and the CD writer. It takes forever to instal from the CD. (About 80 minutes for Office 2000). I returned the hard drive, the motherboard and the CD writer at each suppliers reccomendation. But the new replacements do the same thing. All three service departments have given up and MicroPro says I have had the MB too long to replace it for something else.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
The HD is the master in the primary ata100 socket and the CD writer is the master in the secondary EIDE slot. I have tried other connections. Help!!
Thanks, Bill Heath

it might help if you made sure that 'dma' is enabled for both drives. this will allow the data to be transfered without using the cpu, (this creates a bottleneck).

also make sure that you have the highpiont drivers loaded for the mobo.

hope this helps

brendan

Thanks Brendan,
I have tried it with DMA enabled and disabled for the CD writer. I don't have that option for the HD. It is controlled by a separate promise driver.
I'm not sure what you mean by the highpoint drivers for the mobo. I loaded the drivers as they came from ASus.
Thanks, Bill

Bill,
Couple ssuf=ggestions for you, but questions first...1. What settings are all of you perhp. on (i.e. whats the slave and master etc...) 2. What's on the primary and secondary IDE channels? Ok...ENABLE DMA on everything! and yes you can enable DMA on the hard drive under the system properties and it is under the disk drives and then there is a tab there I can't remember what it is it might be settings (even if it is controlled by the promise controller). Go to Asus and download the updated drivers for your motherboard. Hope this helps!

Harry
Net Guyz, LLC
hfolloder@net-guyz.com

It has slipped out that there is a problem with VIA's "Super South Bridge" chip the VT82C686B. The problem shows up under large file transfers (such as installing programs, or copying large files from cd to HDD and Back). The problem is currently known as the VIA Latency Bug, and is especially noticed on systems which also have a Creative Labs Soundblaster Live! Card. You can read about the problem, and download a patch from
Sean

Thanks, Sean
I tried the patch and it sppeded up the cd - eriter by 100 fold. I do not have a sound blaster card - The KT133A has built in audio, but it still made a tremendous improvement.
However, I still have a related problem. I want to install an old 2 GB Western digital drive for a back up. The Award bios will not recognize either the cd-writer or the HD when I try to use both. If I unplug either, the other works.
To:Harry,
Right now I have the 30 GB drive in the primary ATA100 slot; and the 2 GB and CD-writer are the slave and master respectively on the Secondary EIDE slot.
Thanks everyone, Bill

Bill,

The only other thing I can think of is that some older drives had different settings for "MASTER", "MASTER WITH SLAVE ATTACHED", and "MASTER WITH ATAPI COMPLIANT SLAVE". You may want to go to Western Digital's web site: and search out the jumper settings for your drive to make sure.

Sean

I have checked all the settings for master, slave etc. I wondered if it might have to do with the promise controller conflicting with the VIA IDE controller.

Put the 2gb HDD on Primary IDE as master and the burner on secondry IDE as master. You leave the 30gb on Promise controller.
Cheers.......

When I upgraded a machine with an Asus A7V from NT4 to W2k Pro, the CD stopped working. The upgrade started alright, but after reboot, when Windows needed to copy files from the CD, it didn´t find the drive.

It turned out that the bios needed an upgrade to be able to cope with a harddisk and a CD-drive on the same IDE-channel. After the flashing, the harddisk and the CD worked fine.

Check if you´ve got the latest bios-version for the mb.

Hope this helps...

well this all slows down my next planned purchase, amb and that mobo you have with ge force mx. and sound blaster....
so no sb, i hope the rest works, do let us know.

X-)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back