Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ASUS SP97v M/B and >38GB IDE HDD 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

wyqyd

Technical User
Jul 18, 2003
ZA
I need some info on my issue. I have a 5400rpm 40 gb(37.8)seagate drive which HANGS my sp97 board. I Put it on a GA-586ATE board and the drive is recognised, though only as 8.4gb (no real problem, I have diskwizard) The ASUS website is typically vague. I do not want to flash the BIOS if it will not solve my problem. The PC works fine as it is. I am just frustrated because of the drive hanging the PC. I have tried all the basics, IE lager PSU, unplugging H/W, adapters and so on, all to no avail. Has anybody experienced something similar, and if so, what was the solution?
I thank you in anticipation,
regards,
Mark
wyqyd@mailbox.co.za

Hi Mark,

I experienced almost same problem sometimes back. I recommend the following;

1. Check at the Jumpers of your Hard Disk. Have it on Master, remove all other HD if any and boot to see result.

2. If above does not work, enter the bios settings and try to detect the HD manually from BIOS settings.

Regards.
Salim

Have you always had this problem with this drive?

Did you go into your DiscWizard maintanence menu and try updating your Dynamic Disk Overlay?

The SP97 mobo should manually detect this drive perfectly, if cabled and jumpered correctly. If it does not then there seems to be a bios problem either on the mobo or on the drive.
Personal suggestion.....try to stay away from DDO's.

I have the same board. Had problems with a 40GB HDD. There is an updated bios available (not from the manufacturer - from an enthusiast, and I would have a job finding it again, but prob could email it) - with that bios, I was able to get the board to recognise the 40GB harddrive, but only as a slave, not as a master, and had to "soft boot" on each start up becuase would hang from cold boot.

Hi All,
It was indeed a jumper setting. The "Limit drive capacity" jumper had to be set. The H/W only "see's" 33GB now but W98 treats it normally. I downloaded the driveref from seagate and found it by accident. My model was not even listed, but I got as near as dammit. All BIOS before 99ish had a problem detecting drives in excess of 38 or 37 GB.
I thank you all for your valued input and speedy replies. Just goes to show, us tech's do need help...sometimes. I let my frustration blind me and, as I say to my learners, "you learn something every day"

Once again, thank-you all for helping me find my thinking cap again.

regards,
Mark

You dont want to Flash your Bios but...
DriverGuide.com has an updated Bios for it that will
let you utilize oversized drives in addition to a larger
cpu mulitplier. Just make sure to use auto detect!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back