Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Asus P4SDX compatible with prescott core (800mhz) cpu? 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyberdruid

Technical User
Feb 24, 2005
US
I am upgrading my cpu from a northwood 130 nm 533mhz FSB 2.4 socket 478 (no hyperthreading). My Asus P4SDX has 400/533 FSB settings. The specs on my cpu lead me to believe it is running at 533mhz FSB (is that really 1066?) and my question is will I be able to run the prescott core P4 cpu ( with an apparently higher FSB) on my motherboard? I would like to make use of the hyperthreading capability of the SiS chipset--but all the hyperthreading cpus are 800 mhz, yes? or No? Please let me know as I have my eye on the intel 3 gig HT prescott.

Thanks for your help--CyberD

Your fsb speed is 533mhz only intel extreme edition processors have a 1066mhz fsb speed you would also need to be able to set mobos fsb setting to 800mhz to use the 3ghz prescott and probably will need some faster ram

No you can not use the Prescot core chips at all. The core voltages are quite different and the chips will not power up. Regards

Jurgen

After another half a day of research I have deduced that only one 533 mhz cpu (3.06 P4) is available with HT. However there appear to be two different versions according to the cpuid string. On the Intel site the BX80532PE3066D (the 3.06 Northwood P4) pulls up seven Sspec numbers--only SL6JJ, SL6SM, SL6K7, SL6SF, SL6S5 list quad pumping (133) and sustained 533 mhz data rates and HT support.
Two othersSL6PG and SL6QC do not list these features. The HT listed ones are CPUID OF27h, the other two are not.

My deduction is that only the OF27h version supports HT.

Does any one know if this is correct? I have just scanned at least six sellers on Ebay claiming their 3.06 533 P4 socket 478 units are HT--but several of these are the ones Intel does not list HT for. Is the Intel site up to date and 100 percent accurate?

At about $250 for this critical upgrade component I need to choose wisely--any advice will be appreciated.

Thanks again--CyberD

cyberdruid
Sell your motherboard and CPU

Buy an 800fsb 2.8 P4 and a newer 865PE (Prescott ready)motherboard.

The upgrade you are suggesting will provide only a small performance increase with no future potential.

As long as you already have the required PC3200 memory?
what I am suggesting will probably cost around $60 more but you will give you a much faster machine all round and with the prospect of the highest socket 478 Prescott for a future upgrade.
Just my opinion [2thumbsup]

Martin

We like members to GIVE and not just TAKE.
Participate and help others.

Hmmm,after poking around in the bios once again (and not to ignore any of the advice given, but the Asus specs are familiar to me, and I have that exact site bookmarked)I find I can support up to 1.72 volts to the processor and I can range from 133 to 266 (quad pumped yes?) is that not also my FSB speed range (for overclocking, etc.)?

Am I correct in my understanding that the FSB is derived by multiplying the 133 (up to 266) mhz that also drives the cpu and (stepped down) the memory?

If this is so then can I not provide more than 800 mhz for the cpu and at least 1.72 volts? Would that then run a Prescott core cpu?

Not to beat on a dead horse, but I find this particular MB nicely stable at 3050 mhz and only a few extra fans. A recent post on CPU world from a japan OCer showed his C1 stepping 533 3.06 Northwood at almost 4.2 ghz. Sometimes older cooled technology can be pushed further than bleeding edge high temp gear.

Just my ruminations--your opinions are valued and I just may follow the advice about 800 mhz FSB boards--but the latest greatest is not always what I need. Maybe smaller cooler quieter... :)

Again thank you all for your input--CyberD

No a Prescot will not work under any circumstances. I went that route as well. The core voltages for a Prescot must be below 1.5 volts absolute maximum. In my case 1.38 volts also you need very high currents indeed which a normal bord can not supply. But anyway the prescot will simply not boot up, no matter what you do. It is not a matter of the FSB at all. Regards

Jurgen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back